[OSLIST] Bad OS experiences

Cliodhna Mulhern cliodhna at flowstone.org.uk
Thu Apr 9 07:16:23 PDT 2009

Thanks to Bui for a great question and everyone for their very thought-
provoking responses.

I am following this one with interest because occasionally I meet
clients or potential clients who have experienced a "bad" OS, or a
"bad" Appreciative Inquiry or a "bad" Future Search...I am always
fascinated to find out why the experience might have been such a
disappointment. I have no pat answers here but I have a gleaned a few
things over the years and have built antidotes into my approach to
planning: Like Esther I place great emphasis on workjing with a
planning group that is a cross section of the system; i spend a
significant amount of time with the planning group planning the
invitation list in order to get the "whole system" into the room as
much as is possible. I borrowed this emphasis from Future Search and
it has really served me well. Finally, I occasionally decline the work
when I sense that the sponsor will not really be happy to let go of
control, or to have the whole system in the room or objects to some
other important feature or condition, like the circle....

The only time I experienced personally a very low energy OS was when
the group was very homogenous and also knew one another well...they
were pretty unimpressed with the OS and I could see why...it made me
think a great deal about who was in the room...so now I am strongly of
the view that the more diverse the group the better...

keep the ideas coming everyone...All the best to everyone, cliodhna

Cliodhna Mulhern
flowstone
Mobile : 07929328513
Phone : 01244.312758