help

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Wed Apr 1 14:04:28 PDT 2009

thinking a bit more about this... canadian tables or any of these other
options already mentioned for creating a wall will certainly be workable.
so thinking again about the tables as the primary obstacle, i think i can
say the tables thing a little clearer than yesterday.

if... you make a wall someplace, get everyone to look at you, wander around
the tables, open heart, opening briefing, come post your topics on the
wall...

then... create the grid such that there are 96 breakout spaces and your
(three, did you say?) timeslots.  you know there won't be 300 topics raised,
but no matter.  let the tables be the gathering points.  some groups of just
the right size will meet at the tables.  the rest of the groups, large and
small will swallow or slip between or push around the tables to suit
themselves.  you know a group of 500 will carry away anything that truly is
getting in its way.

so the tables will waste a lot of space, and a pad or two of post-its.
other than that, it's business as usual.

incidently, the cafe thing i did last weekend was 20 tables of 5-6 in a very
cozy arrangement and so the closing plenary was a 120-person huddle, with 20
tables mixed in, rather than any sort of circle.  worked great.  felt
great.  not sure how 500 in plenary huddle will work for figuring out who
talks next, but i suppose that's rationed with having only a few
microphones.  probably important to have not too much lining up at the
microphone or the commenters stop listening to each other and the comments
disconnect.  airplane restroom rules, i suppose, no lines.

anyway, seems you can get them darned close and the crowd will handle the
rest.

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

http://www.michaelherman.com