Open Space in Montana

Harold Shinsato harold at SHINSATO.COM
Mon Apr 20 17:36:29 PDT 2009

It's been a challenge pursuing this at the same time as undergoing upheaval
with corporate aquisitions and transitions at my workplace, the economy, but
the most joy and excitement I'm feeling, it really feels like a life
purpose, is in Open Space, emergence, self organizing. I'm really looking
forward to being at Self Organizing World next month.

Thank you to Lisa Heft and the great people who attended her training in San
Francisco almost a year and a half ago. Thanks especially to Kaliya Hamlin
who helped inspire me to pursue the dream of the theme of an Open Space for
Missoula Montana and not just limit it to technology and web development
because that's what I thought would "sell". We completed a great Open Space
on Saturday with the theme of technology and the arts/design in service of
non-profits. If you visit the wiki:
http://missoulabarcamp.org/wiki/Main_Page, there are reports and links to
pictures.

The event was so successful, that there is a push now to make an Open Space
for the state, and not just the wonderful town of Missoula. I'm glad, but
also afraid of the challenge.

Doing this work sounds like the most fun I could possibly have, or the
biggest nightmare.

What excites me most about Open Space is self-organizing, distributed
leadership, and the potential for real presence. I love the theory around
Open Space, self-organizing, almost as much as the practice.

Will people on this site comment what they think might help me make sure we
keep the space open and alive if there is pressure to go to a more
traditional format - or how to enroll representatives from institutions like
the University, or various State organizations?

And even more, will you say what you think about the relationship between
Open Space and these ideas that came up at our Open Space (Missoula
BarCamp2009).

- Appreciative Inquiry
- Constructionism
- Emergent Systems
- Biomimicry (Janine Benyus's Biomimicry Institute is in Missoula, MT)
- The Core Protocols for self-organizing teams (http://www.mccarthyshow.com)

    Thanks!
    Harold Shinsato
    http://shinsato.com