Bad OS experiences

Bui Petersen bui.petersen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 07:11:26 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,

Having almost settled in living in St. John's, Newfoundland, I am
looking for opportunities to open space. It is a slow process to
introduce something that people are not familiar with, especially as I
am new in a town where everyone seems to know each other.

My question is, what do you do in cases where you meet people who HAVE
been exposed to OST but did not have a good experience. My wife for one
participated in one OS forum, and she is not at all convinced. Her
experience was that the usual suspects did all the talking and those
that usually are quiet, stayed that way. I wasn't there myself, but from
what I gather there may have been some factors that contributed to this
such as, the size of the group (only 15), the breakout spaces had tables
and a couple of other factors. Nevertheless, my wife is not convinced it
could have been much different.

What do you more experienced think is a play? My own experience is
limited so I'm not sure what to say about this. Is it the case that some
OS events just don't have the right energy and don't work out that well?
If so, what can you do to make people consider doing it again? The best
I have come up with is that even if OST may not be perfect, it is better
than most other things I have tried.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bui Petersen