Help! And the spread of os

Lori Palano lpalano at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 2 06:24:23 PDT 2009

Dear list

I have been observing on this list for some time now, although I have only been working with open space for a year and a half. I think this comment is extraordinarily pertinent -- only calling it OS when it really is. However, I believe our real challenge is not in making sure that OS practitioners only call it open space when it really is . . . the real challenge is when others, who seem not to even understand the basic principles or form of OS, use the term.

I'll share an example. I was at a workshop facilitated by a consultant who got his start from "change management" training from the provincial government of Alberta. That was many years ago, and he has had many independent experiences and other training since. As someone who hosts working groups myself, I must be the worst person to have in the 'audience' -- my mind is always at least half on the form of what is being facilitated, and much more than half if the conversations are not dynamic or open in spirit. Anyway, on day 3 this guy had us all fill in cards with suggested solutions to the challenge at hand and then he asked us to lay them on the floor grouped together with similar solutions. OK, fine, I've seen this before. It often works well for me when I'm in a decision-making stage with early-teens as they often need to be very visual to communicate in a group. It's not very dynamic, and often it ends up with only 2 or 3 people out of a group doing
 all the organising and the rest just sitting around. So I was just sitting around, thinking about ways that different elements of hosting could have better addressed the needs of this group, when the facilitator says very proudly :

"this is a technique called 'open space technology'"

WHAT? Oh there are so many problems with that sentence in this context! Forget the fact it is completely and utterly not true, and I still have serious problems with pulling out the term as an unexplained jargon in the middle of the work that (some) people are doing.

So, it is wonderful that we on this list can be careful to only call something OS when it is, but we are not the only ones using the term. this leaves me with a couple of questions :

On a personal level, how can we respond to situations like the one I experienced? I was too dumbfounded to respond, and I am unsure what would have been a useful response anyway.

As practitioners, how do we encourage wide use of OST while at the same time hoping to maintain the purity (if you permit this word) and effectiveness of the 'classical' form?

Thanks for the wonderful conversations!

Lori