Open Space in a private school

eddie palmer eddiepalmer at classmail.co.uk
Tue Sep 30 23:50:09 PDT 2008

Dear Nata

We have used OS in schools in Scotland with no problem. Children are very
receptive, organise themselves very quickly, and there are no problems -
they are great!

We worked once with 7-8 year olds, and they took to it. We had a long
project with two groups (on alternatives to examinations, for assessment) -
the upper/top classes in Junior Schools (10-12 year olds), and they were
very impressive; and 16-18 year olds, who were of course different, but very
adult.

All of your ideas will work. Now in Scotland, junior school children have
'Circle Time' in some schools, which is very like OS closing ceremony. They
are also used to working in small groups, and, of course, they can be
entirely trusted, and should be left alone to run their groups. The only
problem have been some adults who want 'to organise groups'!

The outputs from our various OS events in 2006/07 went straight into
government policy here.

Best wishes

Eddie Palmer

Open Futures