a moment to remember

ana castanheira anacastanheira73 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 15:59:58 PDT 2008

Dear list,
It’s probably the
first time writing to you.
During the last one
year and a half I’ve been following your conversations, your perspectives, your
insights.
I believe I’ve been
learning from all of you.
I’ve been practicing
OST in Portugal, mostly in Portuguese language but with a few limitations; after all I’m
working alone with an unknown method to most of people.
Portugal seemed to me
at first sight a difficult country to implement this method. Although the
culture is very open, the business companies and organizations in general still
tend to use traditional methods for meetings or for solving problems.
Nevertheless the few
experiences I had, people did told me in the end, that they really enjoyed
having the freedom and the space open for creativity.
The first steps are
always the harder to take.
And that leads me to last
7 to 9 of September  in Porto where I had
the pleasure of being invited by Ted Ernst  to co-facilitate Wikisym – the 4th international
event around wikis you can see more in http://www.wikisym.org/ws2008/index.php/OpenSpace
This was certainly the
event that made me realize how much I want to continue to do Open Space. It was
a such a fulfilling experience.
I noticed something very
curious whatever is taken as a talking stick, there’s always a soul that tells
a beautiful deep and unexpected story about it.
On this event I
happen to choose a natural stick coming from a beautiful plant growing outside university gardens.
From something completely
out of the technological world an amazing story was told: a plant once seeded
on a dry vast corner of the world in spite of severe climate conditions, was so
beautiful that would always be able to grow and for that called the joy of the
children’s flower.
I cannot thank Ted
enough for all the amazing things I’ve learned about me as a facilitator. After
all I also can facilitate OST’s in Portugal don’t matter the conditions.
Peace.
Ana

 "If you want to go faster, go alone. If you want to go further, go together."
African proverb