My New Book

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Mon Sep 1 07:22:18 PDT 2008

On September 12, 2008, Berrett-Koehler will publish my new book, Wave Rider:
Leadership for High Performance in a Self Organizing World. As I explained
to my publisher, Steve Piersanti, this is the book I have been waiting to
write because it represents my final report on my participation in a grand
natural experiment.

The experiment, of course, is that ridiculously simple way to elegant
gatherings, Open Space Technology. As you may know, the creation of OST was
not a labor intensive activity. In fact it appeared in my mind on the
strength of two martinis in the time it took to drink them. That was 23
years ago, and in the intervening period millions of people from 134
countries have discovered that if you will sit in a circle, create a
bulletin board, open a market place, and go to work -- some fairly
incredible things are likely to happen. Massively complex issues can be
dealt with in amazingly short periods of time. Intense conflict can find
useful paths of resolution. And it seems to happen all by itself. There are
even recorded cases where the sole facilitator took a nap!

I have no way of knowing what all these people thought about their
experience, but I found it profoundly mystifying. How could something so
simple do so much? Considered against the dominant theory and practice of
organization and meetings, such things not only could not happen, they
should not happen. But it did and it does.

Over time it occurred to me that the magic was not Open Space Technology,
but something infinitely more powerful and profound: the elemental force of
Self Organization. For whatever reason, I have had a lifetime fascination
with the great cosmic dance of chaos and order. My 1965 thesis could have
born the title, “Chaos, Order, and the Creative Process,” for that was the
central theme. As the evolving science of chaos and complexity matured I
found myself mesmerized by the elegant insights of the physicists, chemists
and biologists who were pushing that frontier – particularly when they
identified the phenomenon of self organization as a critical player. It all
seemed so counterintuitive -- and disturbingly compelling when it occurred
to me that something of the same sort could be happening every time we sat
in a circle and created a bulletin board. But they were doing High Science,
and we just convening meetings. And that is where that funny thing called
OST became a natural experiment for me.

The question was: If the primal force of self organization lay at the heart
of the Open Space experience could we learn to leverage it for our benefit
and align our endeavors with its massive power? I think the answer is yes,
not just as a theoretical possibility but in very practical ways which might
enhance our performance and expand our possibilities in this turbulent,
confusing and wonderful world. In a word, we might learn to surf the waves
of primal power to become Wave Riders.

The book comes in two parts. The first states the case, and Part II makes
the application. If your predilection is theoretical start at the beginning
and read forward. On the other hand, if your preference is practical, skip
Part I and head straight for Part II: The Wave Rider’s Guide. I make no
pretence that this is the “final word” -- indeed I hope it is but a
beginning. But it will get you started, and the rest is up to you.

For a preview, go to http://openspaceworld.com/waveriders.htm; you will find
the Introduction to the book giving you an outline of direction and content.

If you want the book, Amazon.com is ready. Go to --

http://www.amazon.com/Wave-Rider-Leadership-Performance-Self-Organizing/dp/1
576756173/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8
<http://www.amazon.com/Wave-Rider-Leadership-Performance-Self-Organizing/dp/
1576756173/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220216204&sr=1-3>
&s=books&qid=1220216204&sr=1-3

If you really want to dive in, we will be doing a series of programs around
the world. The fun is just beginning! I have done my “Final Report” but the
really good part is up to you. Where do we go from here? And only you can
say. You will find an outline of the program at
http://openspaceworld.com/wave%20rider%20program.htm. This program will be
offered in Europe, Asia and the North American Continent. Dates and places
will be listed at http://openspaceworld.com/dates%20and%20places.htm

Harrison

Harrison Owen

189 Beaucaire Ave

Camden, ME 04843

207-763-3261 (Summer)

301-365-2093 (Winter)

Website www.openspaceworld.com

Personal Website www.ho-image.com

OSLIST To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options
<http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>