Belfast Open Space Training

Jo Toepfer jotoepfer at boscop.org
Sun Sep 14 04:10:01 PDT 2008

Dear colleagues,

Even though this might not be very important, we want to let you know
all those who are in the training team. Eleanor and Chrissie (Ulster
University - the sponsor of the training) Michael M, Yaari and Jo from
Berlin.

Counting all the preparation time and winding up after the training, the
team will have been on this great job for 10 days, seven of which were
the actual training. Today is day four, half way through it.

Writing this mail we are sitting in the main space which is the large
multi purpose space in the Connswater Community Centre in East Belfast.
Spread throughout the building participants are busy exploring the
Learning Spaces (library, cinema, exhibition, audio, cyber). In addition
to these spaces we have created a Questions-and Answer-Wall (presently
consisting of three flip charts with 25 questions on it and one chart
with very few answers) and Reflection Groups that meet every evening.

The first two Open Spaces are over: 1st one to experience oneself as
participant under a theme that was phrased in a planning session and
closed with action planning. 2nd one was an Open Space on Open Space to
reflect on the experience.

Still ahead: 3rd Open Space designed and conducted by the participants
themselves complete with action planning.

The last day will be spent on feedback and planning ones further journey
towards becoming an Open Space facilitator.

The entire "training" is an exercise in remembering Open Space and
conducted solely in Open Space format: No lectures, no presentations, no
speeches and barely any answers from the training team.

We have also just agreed with the sponsor on the date of a 3-day
Learning Exchange next April as a further station in the journey.

Happily exhausted (in no small way influenced by imbibing the local brew
in the great pubs here) we greet you from Belfast.

Michael and Jo