Open Space in a private school

Michael Wood mjwood at admin.uwa.edu.au
Wed Oct 1 21:05:38 PDT 2008

Hi Nataly et al

1. We ran an Open Space with a large Anglican boys school (100 year
history) earlier in the year - about 90 people attended comprised
roughly one third parents, one third students and one third staff
(whoever comes are the right people and it just happened that this was
the way it panned out). I don't have the exact wording of the theme to
hand, but it was about building a diverse culture within the school. One
day event. Very good feedback. One 12 year old (Year 6) student stepped
right into the middle of the circle to convene a conversation on the
school becoming co-ed!!

2. I like your idea of an ongoing bulletin board for convening
conversations and would suggest that this be done AFTER a major launch
event, so that people have been introduced to an experience of OS
principles and self organisation. The bulletin board system would be a
way of experimenting with how to begin to embed OS principles in the
daily life of the school. However, I think you also need to make a
decision about whether you are using World Cafe or Open Space as they
are rather different systems.

3. I would certainly encourage you do the training with Lisa and maybe
get an experienced person in for your launch events as schools
(particularly staff) have, in my experience, lots of tradition of
command and control thinking and OS is often quite challanging for them
(however, it always works!)

Good luck - I reckon there are terrific possibilities for OS in schools
- children respond to it particularly well.

Regards
Michael Wood
Perth, Western Australia