os ground zero

Scott Gassman scott.gassman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 04:46:13 PST 2008

 Per Michael's question about an "os event that took place at ground zero in
New York," I believe you are referring to the engagement of public citizens
facilitated by America Speaks, in February and July '02.  These meetings
whose description I have pasted below from the AMERICA SPEAKS website were
engaging Town Hall Dialogues and not Open Space.  Per 9.11, as a survivor
and as a facilitator at the session you inquired about, ironically I am
currently in discussions to conduct an Open Space in April, '09, with a
group still involved in generating awareness about the experience.   For
more than a decade, America*Speaks* has used its 21st Century Town Meeting(R)
model to bring together more than 130,000 citizens in deliberations about
critical policy issues, and then connect the results to decision-makers.
 The following link will take you to the info about Michael's question.

http://www.americaspeaks.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.viewpage&pageid=626&parentID=686&grandparentID=473
 Listening to the City [image: Listening to the City Logo]   *Sponsor*
Civic Alliance to Rebuild Downtown New York
 *Topic*  Disaster Recovery *Date*  February and July 2002 *Location*  New
York, NY  *Participants*  5,900
  CITIZENS REMEMBER AND REBUILDSoon after the 9/11 attacks, stark
differences over the future of the site began to divide survivors, business
leaders and residents. Civic leaders and members of the general public
feared that business and political interests would prevail unless a broad
public consensus emerged and shaped the redevelopment effort. To address
this need, the Civic Alliance to Rebuild Downtown New York asked
AmericaSpeaks to develop a project that would transcend these differences
and provide decision makers with areas of agreement about the redevelopment
of the site.

Listening to the City brought more than 4,300 people together on July 2,
2002. About 200 more participated in a similar meeting on July 22 and more
than 800 participated in an on-line dialogue. An earlier meeting of 600 had
impressed the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation and the Port Authority
so they became co-sponsors of Listening to the City.

Participants were asked to give their thoughts about six preliminary
concepts for the Trade Center site, which the Port Authority of NY and NJ
and the LMDC unveiled days before the meeting. Many criticized them as too
dense, too dull and too commercial.  The poor reception of these concepts by
the participants sent the sponsors back to the drawing board. A contest
among architectural firms was initiated using the vision and principles that
emerged during Listening to the City.

Listening to the City demonstrated that it is possible for thousands of
citizens to come together, deliberate about difficult issues and reach
consensus within a charged and complex decision-making process. The process
was praised by many decision makers, the media, and architecture and
planning leaders as a model for the future.

--

Scott Gassman
IdeaJuice
scott.gassman at gmail.com