Sort of kind of Open Spaces for Microsoft

Steven "Doc" List doc at anotherthought.com
Thu Nov 6 17:04:12 PST 2008

Tree (and all),

My premises/assumptions include:
* Not everyone on this list is a professional
* Some of us do this as either (a) a part of our jobs (as I do now),
(b) as something we love that has nothing to do with our jobs/
professions, or (c) a & b.
* Establishing a working relationship with Microsoft is valuable

Information that I have that no one else does :) :
* These are regional events
* The regional Developer Evangelists at Microsoft have no budget for
the something-like-open-space
* Microsoft is setting the cost for these events low ($99/person)
* Out of their proceeds, they are covering the costs of however many
of the presenters they can (there are 12 presentations total in each
locale)
* They expect around 50-ish people per locale
* They are not nearly as committed to the discussion thing, but would
really like to do it

Since I can do some of these as part of my job, I would do them as a
function of the relationship between Microsoft and ThoughtWorks (my
employer).  I'm hoping that there might be some others on this list
who can choose to do the same kind of thing.

And if not, then Microsoft will make do with whomever they can find in
each region who's willing, if not entirely skilled.

It's not my intent to help Microsoft take advantage of anyone.  It IS
my intent to help raise the level of awareness of what is and is not
Open Space, and to help others who might like to be connected to
Microsoft do so.  I don't want to see Microsoft screw this up (as they
have done in the past), as having them do successful things in this
arena has broad benefits.

I hope that's clearer.

With respect,

...Doc

On Nov 6, 2008, at 5:47 PM, Tree Fitzpatrick wrote:

> Doc. . . if you could say more, I would be interested to know why
> you would ask professionals to work for free for Microsoft?
>
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Nancy White <nancy.white at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> I've done an Open Space with MSFT and MSFT related groups -- they
> liked the "unconference" label quite a bit. I've also done World
> Cafe's as starting points but again, some shift in labels. I also
> have started sessions with "Human Spectrograms" and "Speed Geeking."
> Happy to share more offlist if you want.
>
> * * ========================================================== OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
>  ------------------------------ To subscribe, unsubscribe, change
> your options, view the archives of oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu: http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html
>  To learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist
>

> --
> Love rays,
> Tree Fitzpatrick
>
> http://thecultureoflove.blogspot.com/
>
> . . . the great and incalculable grace of love, which says, with
> Augustine, "I want you to be," without being able to give any
> particular reason for such supreme and unsurpassable affirmation.
> -- Hannah Arendt
>
> 1335 Montecito Ave Apt. 35
> Mountain View, California 94043
> (650) 967-9260
> * * ========================================================== OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
>  ------------------------------ To subscribe, unsubscribe, change
> your options, view the archives of oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu: http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html
>  To learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist

...Doc
Steven "Doc" List
Facilitator, Coach, Agilist, Speaker
US Mobile: 512-924-9248 | CA Mobile: 403-615-4013 | Skype: Steven.List
email: doc at anotherthought.com

Everyone should know it's the month of Movember! Please donate to the
cause of men's health at http://ca.movember.com/mospace/1794841