Going underground as facilitator

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Wed May 21 07:58:27 PDT 2008

i'm encouraged by and encouraging of this, mark.  thanks for sharing the
question.

this, to me, is the next step of the "facilitator" learning to disappear.
it seems to me that we'll ultimately have more and more open space
if/when/as people/leaders learn to do this from within, not abandoning their
position as leader, but refining a pulsation between directing or actively
guiding, on the one hand, and inviting and hosting on the other.

i think your sense of several being able to share the role, or support each
other in it, is helpful as well.  but i would encourage a faster pulsation
than daily.  consider a second law:  the law of two roles.  or maybe the law
of two minds.  one mind inviting, hosting, holding and the other mind still
nominally in charge, at the top, as director.  somatically, this can be
understood as pelvis (literally holding a space for everything stacked on
top) and brain (seeing, visioning, choosing and directing).  the whole thing
mediated by heart in the middle.  so you can find your way between the two
roles you've identified by following heart, same as navigating learning and
contributing as participant using law of two feet.  so the practice is to
refine your pulsation between the two, until they look and feel like the
same "being".

two cautions, or mileposts really, on the way...

first, while you're pulsing back and forth, i find it's easy to get lost.
yes, sometimes that means getting caught up in conversation, letting
attention focus locally and forgetting about the larger space, maybe
forgetting to ring the bells for evening news, for instance.  it's helpful
to have partners to remind you, or to ring them for you.  in the same way,
it is also possible to accidentally not be fully present in a breakout
session, to be not fully local, and in that state, be offering views of the
world that nobody else sees or can understand, cuz they don't have this
larger view of space.  the caution isn't about not sharing, but about
recognizing that it's possible to do, possible to try to be in a breakout
session but bringing experiences that are totally foreign to those who are
apparently your colleagues and partners in the group.  this not an
unfamiliar situation for leaders who regularly have more information, a
wider view, that those in the "trenches" in an organizaiton.

the second caution or noting here is less obvious, or peculiar to straddling
the facilitation/participation divide in open space.  i don't think fr.
brian will mind if i tell a story about osonos in oz to illustrate.  he was
facilitator and host, but also a member of the community.  he ran a great
event, facilitated the whole thing "by the book".  there was somebody there,
however, who had not had firsthand experience with our approach.  she also
knew that brian was a priest.  when she had a difficult time with how things
were going in open space, and discomforts do naturally arise for
participants at various and random moments, her experience with "priest"
allowed her to dump responsibility for difficulties on "how the facilitator
is", what he's doing, how he's run things, etc.  all of that story she was
making was nonesense and after a long talk, she understood that her
difficulty came from what he wasn't and didn't do.  it was the openess of
the space, the press of responsibility and reality that was making her
squirm.  so it was the combination of *her* newness in open space and her
(in this case rather thin) connection to brian that allowed her to make up a
story that was getting in her way.  so if you have colleagues new to this
experience and you are still known as some sort of 'leader' or just some
sort of guy to these folks, they might be confused by what is open space,
what is you, what is you as leader and what you as facilitator, and so on.
in the end, this is just a noticing that such confusion is possible.  there
is nothing to "do" about it, other than know it's there and possible.  if
you notice it along the way in your meeting, and maybe it'll be there or
maybe it won't, then all the clarity you will bring to the process from the
very beginning, is all you will or can or should bring to that moment.  just
be as clean in both roles as you can, and as clear about what is you and
what is reality of org/world, and it's all still open space, or not.

good luck!  i hope you'll find this is a great and fun practice, and come
back and tell some of the internal story of how it goes for you...

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

http://www.michaelherman.com
http://www.openspaceworld.org