OS 2.f

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at BK.RU
Tue May 13 16:19:30 PDT 2008

Dear Jack and all,

Putting the Discordian funny bone aside, it's great to have a conversation
about an updated version of OS, dogmatism, and the like.

An Open Space Establishment is probably not an oxymoron for one good reason:
in any community - even in an ostensibly highly inclusive one- there is a
mainstream and a margin. Who is in the mainstream and in the margin is
another question and what purpose it would serve to even identify the two is
not clear.

The list from your micro-site of OS 1.0 "nevers" and "always" is a fair one,
*and* just about all of those pieces of dogma have long been challenged here.

Yes, OST is a very forgiving and adaptable approach *and* I wonder what is
lost energetically when more and more of those elements of form are tossed.

I don't necessarily feel comfortable using tibetan temple bells, but I have
yet to come across something that produces a sound that invites a similar
level of presence. Yes, you don't *need* to do something to invite presence
in the beginning, *and* the quality of space created when presence is
invited is definitely different (preferable?).

Perhaps part of the question is how to minimize an experience of the
culturally dissonant mystical and yet invite presence?

If there were an OS 2.0 - and I'm curious what you might come up with-
perhaps it would have less to do with the Internet, web-based social
networking and possibly more to do with answering the question(s):

How do we create permanent physical spaces that matter? How do we create
third places that matter? How do we create permanent community spaces for
people to talk about what is really important?

The Internet, Web 2.0 are great and I think they aid us in bringing more of
the head into the complex inter-human collaborative equation, not sure how
well our bodies, hearts, and Spirits are enabled or engaged with this
technology...

And perhaps those questions about creating physical space just might make it
to a Village Marketplace at a WOSonOS near you...

appreciatively,
raffi