Academic articles on OST

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Fri May 2 07:48:19 PDT 2008

Maya -- After I sent off my previous response, it occurred to me that you
and others might conclude that I have exaggerated a bit. After all I have
been accused of being a story teller -- to which I can only respond: Guilty
as charged. And so to mitigate the severity of my offence I thought to share
the review comments of a long time colleague, Dr. Rodney Plimpton, on my
book "Wave Rider."

"This is a simply wonderful, wise book.  It shows us why almost everything
we think we know about planning, organizing, directing, and controlling is
wrong
and what we need to do instead.   If you have followed any part of
Harrison Owen’s journey over the past 40 years you will delight in this
culmination of his work.  And if you have missed the journey, you need to
discover it now.  Required reading for anyone who cares about leadership,
organizations, and high performance." Rodney Plimpton, Ph.D.; former SVP,
Human Resources, American Electric Power Co., Columbus, Ohio.

Getting past the kind words in the opening, we come to the substance: "It
shows us why almost everything we think we know about planning, organizing,
directing, and controlling is wrong
and what we need to do instead."

Rod is not prone to hyperbole or new age fads. His PhD is in Management from
Stanford, and he retired as Senior VP for Human Resources. American Electric
Power is one of the largest power companies in the US, which would make it
one of the largest in the world. Pretty conservative I would say.

So I say again -- Take Care! This Open Space stuff could get you into a lot
of trouble. But I guarantee it will be both exciting and fun.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20854
Phone 301-365-2093
Skype hhowen
Personal website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the