Going underground as facilitator

Marc Steinlin (I-P-K) marc.steinlin at i-p-k.ch
Mon May 19 22:18:03 PDT 2008

Dear OS list members,

I have been following this list for almost two years now and have
enjoyed many of your conversations, learnings, ideas and inspirational
thoughts! Many thanks for all that valuable insight and encouragement!

I myself over the last 2 years have organised/ facilitated approx. 20
OS all over the world (from Switzerland to South Africa, from
Indonesia to Ethiopia), some as large as 70 participants
(unfortunately I never had the opportunity for a larger group - would
love to try that!), some as small as 5 persons - and I (as well as the
participants!) enjoy it greatly each time!

We, the KM4Dev (a global community of practice on Knowledge Management
for Development; http://www.km4dev.org) have decided to run this
year's annual meeting over 2.5 days entirely as an OS. We are about
four persons who have already facilitated OS and are preparing the
facilitation of the event.

However, all of the four of us are also greatly interested in the
topics which will be discussed, it's certain that we also want to
propose topics for groups to work on. Therefore my question:

Is it possible, that a facilitator opens the Open Space, but once the
market place starts, she/ he will transform into a regular participant
and mingle with the rest? I always attached great importance to
"holding space" - I have never been doing anything actively, I have
done my best to get out of the way, however I have been there, almost
invisible, but still...
Do you have any experience or advice on whether the facilitator can
give up her/ his role and become a normal participant until to the
closing circle?
Alternatively, do you have any thoughts about rotating faciliators:
person A doing it on the first day, B on the second day, so that we
all have the opportunity to participate in the discussions with our
own topics? I guess none of us would want to limit her/ himself for
the full duration to just holding space...

Your experience is much appreciated!
-marc

IngeniousPeoplesKnowledge
Marc Steinlin
marc.steinlin at i-p-k.ch
Skype: marcsteinlin

PO Box 27494
Rhine Road
Sea Point
8050 Cape Town
Republic of South Africa
Mobile: +27 (76) 222 81 12

Zweierstrasse 50
CH-8004 Zürich
Switzerland
Mobile: +41 (78) 850 42 32

http://www.i-p-k.ch

P Help save paper - do you really need to print this email ?

‘Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can
change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.’
Margaret Mead