Temple Bells and other Esoterica

Steven List anotherthought at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 07:23:15 PDT 2008

I love the mapping of The Hero's Journey to Open Spaces.

"A hero ventures forth from the world of common day into a region of
supernatural wonder: fabulous forces are there encountered and a decisive
victory is won: the hero comes back from this mysterious adventure with the
power to bestow boons on his fellow man."
(Joseph Campbell) (via the Wikipedia -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero%27s_journey)

Doesn't that describe the experience of OST beautifully?

Consider the major stages of THJ:

1. A call to adventure - the invitation to an unstructured event with
unspecified results

2. A road of trials - discussions that may go any way, people who may not be
in alignment, different approaches to organizing/leading/guiding each
discussion

3. Achieving the goal or "boon" - "be prepared to be surprised", finding
unexpected results yet achieving the goals/intent of the event

4. A return to the ordinary world - the sad part, it's over, convergence
leading to action?

5. Applying the boon - putting the results to work

I'd love to see further detailed analysis. And off the top of my head, I'd
say it's a pretty compelling mapping between THJ and OST.

Thanks, Harrison!

	Doc

P.S. I just ordered a pair of temple bells (or is it singular, since they're
joined with a cord?) and some talking sticks.  Perfect timing for my next
events next month.

--
Steven "Doc" List, CMP
The Money Is In Your Blind Spot!T