Convergence or Group Consensus

Diane Gibeault diane.gibeault at rogers.com
Fri Mar 14 08:13:48 PDT 2008

Hi Martin,

The concern you describe is precisely why when the support of management is
determinant in follow-ups, it's important not only to get participants to
identify priorities. After the survey or vote on priorities, I also have the
management team meet for 10 minutes so they can give immediate feedback to
the group as to whether these recommended priorities are a GO or not, given
the resources, context or other factors. When after this, participants
invest time and energy in action planning, they are assured it is not wasted
and we avoid cultivating cynicism with a process that as you described could
be deceiving.

Management teams usually feel more comfortable agreeing to do an OS event
knowing they have that opportunity during the process to adjust outcome to
reality. Participants are also reassured knowing it won't be just a dream
exercise but that it will be anchored with leadership support.

Diane