Poetry Contest February 2008 Reminder...

Jeff Aitken magic.teams at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 3 11:08:11 PST 2008

I grieved for a year when my father died.
And Michael Stipe was right that sweetness follows.

When it's over,
A lovely cloud of feeling remains, calls forth memories,
shows me the world with eyes more raw, more open
to the stark beauty of this leafless tree in the sidewalk.
And carries me into the work that's next to do.

If it's over,
We can start that awkward, lovely dance of hugs,
waiting our turn to hug Ralph, and Chris, Karen,
Joelle, and Lisa, everyone who won and played and read,
and lay a wreath at the memory of Laurel.

If it's over,
we can stand in Harrison's circle with hands joined
and faces outward, hearts burst open to the horizon
and the mystery of walking toward it, alone and
together, finding spaces snapping open like poppies.

Jeff Aitken
San Francisco