FW: Open Space Mini-Workshop at Michigan State University

Stanton, Thomas S (DLEG) stantont1 at michigan.gov
Fri Mar 21 13:53:03 PDT 2008

Hi, all.  I'm brand new to the OS list.

I'm preparing for presenting an Open Space session at a conference at
Michigan State University (East Lansing, MI; April 9-10).  Here's the
blurb about the session:

Title: Open Space for (Public Discussion of) "No Regrets" Policies and
Actions

Organizer: Tom Stanton, Michigan Renewable Energy Program, Public
Service Commission

Abstract: The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change advocates "no
regrets" mitigation and adaptation approaches; these are ways to address
climate change at no or very low cost, or with high benefit-cost ratios.
The 4th IPCC report explains: "[Some] mitigation actions can result in
near-term co-benefits (e.g. improved health due to reduced air
pollution) that may offset a substantial fraction of mitigation costs.
... In several sectors, climate response options can be implemented to
realize synergies and avoid conflicts with other dimensions of
sustainable development." As Nordhaus and Shellenberger (2007, pp.
257-258) anticipate, a helpful public policy response to global climate
change could be capable of establishing a new, inspirational "social
contract" based on a "clean energy investment platform" that could
enable "fulfillment, self-creation, and a new ecological politics." This
session seeks to identify and actually begin the process of initiating
implementation of "no regrets" options for the Great Lakes Region:
mitigation and adaptation opportunities with various combinations of net
negative costs; near-term co-benefits, especially in terms of new
economic development and employment creation opportunities; and
synergies with other dimensions of sustainable development. Workshop
leaders will use an "Open Space" meeting approach
(http://www.openspaceworld.org/), in which participants self-organize.
Participants will set their own agenda, and then form small groups to
begin work on the topics they choose. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO LEAD
DISCUSSION OF A SPECIFIC "NO REGRETS" TOPIC, please contact Tom Stanton
at stantont1 at michigan.gov.

Conference details are here:
http://www.environment.msu.edu/climatechange/index.html

If any of you are interested in participating and/or helping to lead
this session at this FREE conference, please let me know.  I'll buy your
MSU Dairy Ice Cream Cone (a $3 value you won't soon forget)!!!

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me towards this end...

All the best,

-- Tom Stanton, Coordinator
   Michigan Renewable Energy Program -- http://www.michigan.gov/mrep
   voice 517-241-6086, generally 9a-5p, M-F
   EMAIL: stantont1[at]michigan[dot]gov
<mailto:stantont1%5bat%5dmichigan.gov>