Creating Space in Construction (long'ish)

Brendan McKeague mckeague at iprimus.com.au
Sat Mar 15 21:44:38 PDT 2008

Hi folks
A few weeks ago I posted a topic on the List about a bunch of
construction folks building a big, long road - $550m project - and
how they had become a bit 'stuck' around communication and mistrust
between management team, supervisors, designers et al....this was an
alliance project where a number of construction companies had joined
together to tender.....a couple of previous interventions by the
'expert' (and thus expensive) HR consultants had been close to
disastrous and there was now a sense of mistrust around any
facilitated processes that involved outsiders....

After a couple of heavy'ish conversations with the managers, and my
confirmation that Open Space does not accommodate a Plan B, they
decided, 'with 'positive caution', to proceed with an OS meeting for
an afternoon - with an emphasis on the fact that every minute
'off-the-job' was costly and could be of critical significance to the
success of the project.

And so, we continue the story....

The invitation was languaged and circulated - "how can we shape the
alliance we want?' - no visually appealing lay-out - plain
writing/memo-style was the order of the day.
About 35 folks came together at the site-office dining area to begin
with a 12noon 'working lunch' and were then gathered into the circle
at 1230 precisely!  (I was amazed at how quickly all the sandwiches
disappeared - mmm, wonder why i noticed that - probable because i
missed out!) - here was a group hungry for something....
I was conscious of the energy levels of 33 big-framed men and two
women - in a relatively confined space and the curious suspicion that
permeated the atmosphere
The Alliance Innovations Manager introduced the meeting, followed by
the Project Director (Big Boss) sponsor thanking everyone for coming
and reiterating that 'time off the job is expensive' and thus the
need to use the time well and then handing over to me....

I entered the circle of mostly rigid blokes, and breathed my way into
the space...

'Welcome to Open Space - you have been invited to come to this
meeting - you have agreed to be here rather than somewhere else this
afternoon - you have said yes to help shape the alliance you want to
have at this time...as you look around this circle, notice your
colleagues in this alliance who have also come here this afternoon to
join you in this task...and I now invite you to consider what it is
that you wish to address here today....what is really important to
you to raise and deal with here...the remaining time of this
Alliance, the next twelve months or so can be shaped and influenced
by what you talk about and decide to do here today....an important
opportunity awaits you"

Of course by this time I was around the circle and feeling the
energies that were present....mostly suspicious, unsure, somewhat
curious and some downright hostile....

and then, the rest is history.....into the process of 'opening' and
describing how it works...

After my opening (about 14.5 mins according to my Org Psych colleague
who was observing) - I walked out of the circle and made my way to
other end of the room - out of site so to speak!  There was that
pulsating, power-filled pause - about 10 whole seconds - before the
first insertion to the middle - by one of the women present (i
discovered later she was one of the designers) - and quickly followed
by a couple of others - and then they were off....for the next ten
mins, a strange topsy-turvy roller-coaster of announcements and
pauses - nothing happening (on the surface) - then a couple more
postings - until I asked them if they were done - and then they were off.....

The rest is typically what we see in an OS meeting...in this case it
was very intensified for me - a smaller-than-usual physical space,
and a shorter-than-usual time, with a more heavily male dominated mob
of concrete-operational thinkers - much more accustomed to building
spaces than 'being' in them....
Lots of movement and intense levels of engagement throughout most of
the afternoon - some wandering around at times looking unsure what
they should be doing, or which topic was being discussed in each
break-out space, little off-shoot conversations, and plenty of solid
work being done...

There were three 1.25 hr conversation slots - and about 30 mins
convergence for any action planning (similar to what has recently
been described here as 're-opening the space') in which five action
planning groups met to pin down next steps....and a closing circle....

I thought you might identify with some of the comments:
    * This afternoon has opened up some trust in this group and I'd
like to think that we can continue this now...
    * I got to see other people's perspectives - some for the first
time - that is really useful
    * I think that, although it may be a bit late in the project, the
coming together of design and construction folks has been very
positive here today.
    * I'm going to spend a whole day next week riding in a truck
(from a designer)
    * Let's acknowledge that this is a good project - we're on track
for time and within budget...we are doing real well so far....and I
was one of the ones on the management team who was very cynical about
this meeting - I didn't think it could be worthwhile  - and I need to
say that I got a couple of niggling issues sorted out here very
quickly. I'm pleased I came.
    * I didn't think that all the right people were here as it says
on the sign - some of those who came left pretty early - and its a
pity they didn't stay to see how its ended up. They've missed out on
something positive and its up to us to convey that to them. (started
with 35 and ended with about 30)
    * There are so many points of view here - it was good to be able
to hear them all without too much aggression
    * I really liked the way that people listened to each other
respectfully and really heard what others were saying.
    * This was so much better than the previous meeting where we had
to draw tortoises with bird's heads....we actually got something done here.
    * I got a chance to have my say - I feel better about that now.
    * It didn't solve all my problems with Main Roads dept but it
gave me a good start on some of these.
    * I now really believe that we're all here because we want to do
a good job and help each other the best way we can.

And so, the circle concluded with the sponsor thanking everyone for
their contribution and saying that the time together had been
productive and worthwhile for him - now have a beer!

One of my challenging decisions in preparing for this space was to
leave out the 'butterflies and bees' sign - while still referring (in
the opening) to the fluent and dynamic nature of behaviours (floating
and buzzing around) that might be exhibited in the meeting....I also
did bring and ring the temple-bells - with a little trepidation from
the org psych - to his amazement, there was no adverse reaction from the mob!

And so another chapter in the experience of this OS practitioner....
there will be a scheduled debrief meeting with sponsor next week

Cheers
Brendan