[Fwd: Re: FW: Magic in the Middle]

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Thu Jun 26 07:16:06 PDT 2008

Doc -- you wrote: "I've thought about this a lot.  People have told me that
I'm an outstanding facilitator.  I wonder why.  On the one hand, I think
that anyone can facilitate an Open Space.

But I also believe that what I've said above is a part of it - that I bring
more than the mechanics into play.  What captivated me about the whole idea
of OST was that there's so much spirit in it."

What you have observed is one of the great things about Open Space, I think.
Anybody can "do it" -- and it is also possible to achieve a level of focus,
presence and intention as a facilitator which effectively brings the
experience for the participants to a whole new level. My way of putting the
same things is -- Anybody can do it, and it may take a lifetime to learn how
to do it well. That has certainly been my own experience. Every Open Space I
have ever facilitated is, at some level just like all the rest. Same old,
Same old! And -- every Open Space I have ever facilitated has also and
equally been a deep and profound experience (for me). You never get to the
end of it. Never boring!

I confess that the apparent contradiction here had me bothered for a bit. I
am not sure that I have it right yet, but it seems to me that it goes
something like this. . . We (as facilitators) don't really "do" an Open
Space. It (OST) works all by itself. In other words the elemental forces of
self organization kick into operation whenever the initiating conditions are
present. And it turns out that the conditions we have identified for the use
of Open Space (Real business issue, lots of complexity, great diversity,
presence of passion and conflict, with a decision time of yesterday
(urgency) -- serendipitously turn out to be the same as those required for
self organization, at least as Stuart Kauffmann would see it. Once the
conditions are right, we only need to establish a venue (time and place) and
it is off to the races. Sit in a circle, create a bulletin board, open a
market place and go to work. Anybody can "do" that.

Then there is a whole different and deeper level, which is what you are
talking about, I think. It is all about playing with the energy which
requires focus and presence. Seriously going with the flow in very positive
and creative ways -- with remarkably productive results. I find all of this
to be just fascinating, and possibly the most powerful benefit of Open
Space. For me, the key learning here is how to effectively and intentionally
live and work in a self-organizing world -- a world we do not create
organize or control, but it is the only world we have. I call this wave
riding, as in riding the wave of self organization. We all do this, some
well, some poorly, some quite unconsciously and grudgingly (typically those
who think they are in control). But we can all do it better, and
facilitating an Open Space is a marvelous arena for practice. Under the
heading of full disclosure, "Wave Rider" is the title of my next book which
will come out in the fall. Stay tuned.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
189 Beaucaire Ave
Camden, ME 04843
207-763-3261 (Summer)
301-365-2093 (Winter)
Website www.openspaceworld.com
Personal Website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options