[Fwd: Re: FW: Magic in the Middle]

Steven "Doc" List doc at anotherthought.com
Wed Jun 25 19:09:20 PDT 2008

Doug,

Absolutely!

For me it's a combination of my understanding of and belief in spirit,
along with the observer effect
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_effect).

By virtue of any individual's presence, the energy changes.  If I'm
there, then whatever is going on is affected by my presence.

When I talk about the facilitator's "invisible presence," I think in
terms of the participants knowing that I'm there, that my energy and
spirit affect the energy and spirit of the whole, even if I do nothing
after the opening.

As I walk the circle, I envision the flows of energy, the threads that
connect the people there. I view part of my role to be to stir the
energy, to connect the threads, to create something new and different.
And as their energy intermingles, it is constantly new, changing,
evolving, and becoming a product of the individuals who are present.

I've thought about this a lot.  People have told me that I'm an
outstanding facilitator.  I wonder why.  On the one hand, I think that
anyone can facilitate an Open Space.

But I also believe that what I've said above is a part of it - that I
bring more than the mechanics into play.  What captivated me about the
whole idea of OST was that there's so much spirit in it.

So I bring my spirit, and I stir.

...Doc