Urgent

Gerard Muller gm at openspace.dk
Tue Jun 10 22:51:21 PDT 2008

Dear Reinhard & Marianne,

Sounds very familiar ........... I agree with Kerry that having someone
experience another OS is a good way forward.

Otherwise the only thing I have to add to what others already have
written is two things I have sometimes done
when meeting the situation you describe:

1.	Propose other interactive meeting designs beside OS, and line up the
pros and cons of each -
	typically the alternatives give the client more a sense of control
over content and outcome, but the price
	they pay when comparing to OS is high ......... Rather than convincing
to do OS, the discussion then becomes
   	a choice between alternatives. And ....... "a bit like OS" does not
exist in my book, like you can't be a bit pregnant,
	either.

2.	I take the paradoxical approach, saying something like - clearly the
most powerful design which meets your
	objectives would be Open Space Technology, but I am sorry to say that
probably not all conditions which need
	to be there to be able to use the method are not in place .......
	I have found this often changes the discussion into one where the
client starts to attempt to convince me that
	the conditions are in place. Not many like the idea that the best
option is not available - possibly because of
	their own choices.

I would definitely not go for a compromise. And there seem to be many,
many opportunities ...... Yesterday I facilitated
an Open Space and one of the participants, an Accenture manager,
invited me to come and facilitate a one hour Open Space session. This
afternoon I am meeting with a client who wants a two hour Open Space
with 300 people at a large
fair ........ Sometimes it turns out more space can be created. If
there isn't the space for an Open Space, that's just the only thing
that could happen - and the thought or wish to try the real thing may
linger on and emerge later.

Good luck !!

Gerard Muller

Open Space Institute Denmark
Phone: (+45) 21269621					Skype: openspace1
Mail: gm at openspace.dk