Going underground as facilitator

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 7 06:21:58 PDT 2008

Marc (and all):

  I am trying to read the messages from the OSLIST after some weeks (or months) with no time at all (but classes endend yesterday ;-) and I found this thead.

  I am not very much into de "aid to development" but I am surelly very interested in following this experiment. As it happens that I live in Lisbon, I have decided to get some free time to go to Almada and I have enrolled to the workshop (that I will not be able to attend full time) and I am offering my help for what it worths (very little indeed).

  Anyhow two more things:

  If there are participants from Portuguese or Spanish speaking countries and if you are interested in having them have a flavour of OST before they go to Alamada, then you may direct them to http://www.openspaceworld.org/cgi/iberia.cgi?. This wiki is now closed for new updates but has some introdutory materials in both languages.

  I would also be interested in knowing if there are still free places (no accomodations needed) as some of my undergraduate students could eventually be interested in enrolling. Please let me know that offline so I can publicize the event - or not.

  Best wishes for the event and best regards to all the others

  Artur

"Marc Steinlin (I-P-K)" <marc.steinlin at i-p-k.ch> wrote:
  Dear all, many thanks for your feedback! I will take up your ideas and inputs with my colleagues.

  I can take some ideas with me: initially I was more thinking of having each of us facilitating a part of the OS - "serial" facilitation. But on the basis of your comments, I feel like maybe rather going for "parallel" facilitation. I don't know exactly what that means, but have a feeling emerging in my guts - I'm positive we will know how to do it.
  Thanks for the words of caution, in particular to you Michael. I have made similar experiences in other contexts with regard to confused roles, projections and so on and if we are aware of this possibility, I'm sure we - well, as you say maybe not avoid it, but will be able to deal with it when it's there. But I'm not really afraid of this, I have a lot of confidence in my friends' and my own experience.

  What makes things easier is that nobody would consider me as their leader. I will - together with others - facilitate the event, and for some it will be their first full-fledged OS experience, but nobody would think I might be something like their "leader" beyond facilitating this day. The nice thing about this group of people is, that it is very open and open-minded community - in fact I feel that the open space philosophy is very close to the thinking of this group.

  I also like very much the idea of adopting OS as a system of continuous operation, which has come through some of your responses. I am currently thinking about how to run my own little organisation in a micro-macro-OS way: micro because at this stage we are just 3 of us, macro because I would like to start somehow getting into the OS way and opening space, but not really closing it anymore - eg. having a constantly evolving market place of topics that we are conversing about, and to somehow apply the principles as our normal mode of operation. Don't know whether this (will) make any sense...

  -marc

  (...)