Message from Berlin

John Rapp jfs.rapp at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 08:13:17 PDT 2008

My apologies for deploying this neologism (probably more like a
bastardization) -- esp. on a list with some for whom English is already a
second (and challenging language).  Here's "orotundity":
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/orotundity -- the legitimate
sibling of my "orotunditude."  My own definition would be something like
this: "sonorous sanctimony: like a Pope" -- or better yet: "speechifying"...

One of my best friends worked for years to coach Al Gore out of his
valedictory, declamatory speechifying ... without success.  Although BHO is
a bit different -- and likely better/more effective, in some ways -- phrases
like "This is our time, and the time is now" scare people who believe (as do
I) that leadership requires far more than being smart.  To use an
old Heartland phrase: "He's forgot his 'raisin" -- which means that BHO
looks like he wants to be considered (and listened to) like a Kennedy, an ML
King, a Gandhi -- when he's mostly Barry.

jfr