Going underground as facilitator - Follow-up

Marc Steinlin (I-P-K) marc.steinlin at i-p-k.ch
Thu Jul 17 16:27:43 PDT 2008

Earlier on I had taken from this list that your (and my!) favourite
question to an OS facilitator is: "What do we actually pay you for?" -
I find it hilarious and I always share it with people when talking
about OS, it's always a scream!

Usually I then refer to my memories living in West Africa. We mostly
had a night watchman in our garden (in many ways the reason was also
to give another person a job). They were always there, sitting under a
tree, brewing tea and they were great to have a chat with - they knew
everything that happened in the neighbourhood!
But they never actually did something. And that was the point: you
have a night watchmen BECAUSE YOU WANT THEM NOT HAVING ANYTHING TO DO
and you have the great desire that they never ever will need to do
anything - that was precisely the reason why you have (and paid!)
them! They are "holding the night" - and your space to sleep free from
worries. And you assume that their mere presence creates this safe
space.

That's always how I understood - and explained - my role and the space
that I hold as a facilitator. People (who have experienced African
night watchmen) always understood...

Thanks again!
-marc

IngeniousPeoplesKnowledge
Marc Steinlin
marc.steinlin at i-p-k.ch
Skype: marcsteinlin

PO Box 27494
Rhine Road
Sea Point
8050 Cape Town
Republic of South Africa
Mobile: +27 (76) 222 81 12

Zweierstrasse 50
CH-8004 Zürich
Switzerland
Mobile: +41 (78) 850 42 32

http://www.i-p-k.ch

P Help save paper - do you really need to print this email ?

‘Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can
change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.’
Margaret Mead