Philosophical Question

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sun Jan 20 15:19:22 PST 2008

Fun Stuff! I am on the road and away from my library -- which means I can't check on what Stuart K. said nor what I said. But no mind, what I should have said (even if I didn't) is that the first condition is a "relatively safe neutrient environment." It must be neutrient or nothing will grow -- but the safety should be "only enough." Only enough to let something happen. If it is too safe, nobody would care to make any changes. And not to be forgotten is that the last "essential condition" is to "be on the edge of chaos." So I guess you could say that "more or less safety, verging on chaos" will do just perfectly. Just so many words, I suppose, but in an Open Space, I don't worry too much about the creature comforts and helping the folks to feel comfortable. Marginal comfort will work just fine. Hard nosed and nasty, I guess -- but a little suffering is good for the soul :-)

Harrison

>From: Koos de Heer <koos at auryn.nl>
>Date: 2008/01/20 Sun AM 08:37:38 CST
>To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
>Subject: Re: Philosophical Question

>Hi Marty,
>
>Interesting questions! The way I understand it, Kaufman does not refer toan environment with abundant food supply. Neither does he mean anenvironment where the food supply is constant. I have always taken it asreferring to an environment that provides at least a minimal level ofnutrition and is relatively stable, in the sense that it does not changeradically in a short time span. Of course the food supply, the number ofnatural enemies, the weather conditions etc. will change over time. Butfor a self organizing system to exist, there has to be a reasonableamount of stability. If we look at a biological example: the Earth has anatmosphere. The atmosphere provides not only an important part of thenecesarry nutrients, it also works as a buffer to eliminate radicalchanges in temperature and radiation. On a planet without an atmosphere,it is much more difficult for life forms (at least as we know them) todevelop, for lack of both nutrition and stability. But this does not meanthat the atmosphere never provides any challenges! It changes constantlyand does not always make us feel comfortable. But these changes have sofar been within acceptable limits.

> [...]

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr
Potomac, MD 20854
USA