Philosophical Question

Martin Boroson marty at becomingme.com
Sun Jan 20 08:23:42 PST 2008

Dear all:

I have a couple of philosophical questions about the concept of a "stable
nutrient environment."  According to Stuart Kauffman, as quoted by Harrison,
this is Condition #1 for self-organization.

My questions:

a.  What does this mean scientifically?  Presumably Kauffman is talking
primarily about biological systems, as he is a biologist.  Does he mean
sufficient food supply?  That would make sense - you need sufficient food in
order to do anything -- but on the other hand, fundamental environmental
challenges to a system (such as lack of food supply) are surely one of the
perturbations that can induce a re-organization.

b.  I'm also curious to know how each of you would interpret "stable
nutrient environment" in terms of organizational change.  What would be the
"stable nutrient environment" required?   Abundant coffee and cake at your
conference?  Lifetime job security for all the organization's employees?
Or something in between?

;)

Namaste

Marty