Thoughts on a Town Crier

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Thu Jan 17 16:47:12 PST 2008

I often get requests to be a time keeper and announce, particularly the
first session.  Like Koos, I never do.  I agree with Diane that it
reinforces dependency on the facilitator -- the opposite of opening a
full space.  I do emphasize in my opening that it is their responsibly
to live by the principles.

I also see the evaluations that some clients do and want.  There are
often some people who complain that they were not told what to do.  In
some settings that number is larger than others.  However, many others
recognizing that "self-organizing" gives them freedom to self-manage
"time and space" to get done what needs to be done.  It is a hard
learning for some, but worth it for those that do.  The others will
still complain if it doesn't fit their worldview.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation
Toronto, ON, Canada