Advice for an OS for learning & sharing for software developers

Harold Shinsato harold at SHINSATO.COM
Mon Jan 14 22:38:58 PST 2008

Dear Owen,

Thanks for making me laugh with some of your insights, especially about
perhaps looking around for another company if the session is short.  Being
genetically half-Japanese, I'm a little familiar with the Japanese-Engineer
effect.  It has something to do with politeness and respect for authority.
I'm really American but the genes do have their say.  A native American at
our San Francisco Open Space facilitation training mentioned how "Respect
for Elders" can often cause the Youngers to go silent.  Some extra
facilitator work was needed but I think that was outside the context of Open
Space.  In any case, I appreciate the guidance to trust my colleagues.  They
really are smart, and not that shy.  Sometimes I do wonder if they really
trust that if they bring real issues whether it will make a difference to
the managers who make the decisions, and whether it would be safe to stand
up.  There is the famous Japanese proverb that "The nail that sticks out
will be hammered down."  But clearly Open Space has worked in Japan and
other similar cultures, so it can work in my group.

When I asked for permission to bring Open Space to our conference, I asked
for the whole event but suggested if that other conferences put an Open
Space at the end - so that's what we did.  I really look forward to the
after buzz.  My hope is that next time they won't settle for just one day of
Open Space.

And Koos, thanks for the encouragement to breathe and sit on my hands if
necessary!

    Thanks,
    Harold