Thoughts on a Town Crier

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Sun Jan 13 11:14:14 PST 2008

Dear Peggy,
I have never seen anybody in these parts do what Jon does.
That might have different reasons such as the many training events and
local OSonOS people have participated in...
What is done here a lot and I always do it, is to have a detailed
schedule posted on a large flipchart complete with a time arrow (a
little red cardboard arrow with the word "now" written on it). When
introducing the schedule to the group I also point out the function of
the arrow...me or another team member and often participants themselves
move the arrow as the event progresses. My line is: In case you lose
track of time or wonder what is next just walk up to the schedule and
have a look at the arrow.
Of course, sometimes people come up to me and ask about beginning times,
my response is to just point to the schedule...I would hate to add a
town crier to my repertoire seems it would be one more thing to do and
one chance for selforganisation and selfmanagement taken away.
Here is a few links to show examples of schedules with the time arrow
> http://www.boscop.org/page/show/102
> http://www.boscop.org/page/show/99
> http://www.boscop.org/page/show/100
> http://www.boscop.org/page/show/101

Have a great day in Seattle!
Greetings from Berlin
mmp

Peggy Holman wrote:
> Has anyone noticed more milling about before people move into
> sessions over the last few years?  I'd been noticing enough of a
> trend this way that I always intend to explicitly tell people that
> there won't be anyone telling them when to move, that it is up to
> them to follow their own rhythms and interests.  I haven't quite
> internalized this yet, so I usually forget.  Anyway, I think I may
> have figured out what is going on.
>
> I just did an OS for a friend for a group of about 50.  He uses OS a
> lot but wanted to be able to really participate in this one.   He
> told me that he was a little surprised when the first round of
> breakout sessions was starting that I didn't tell people it was time
> to get started.  He came to me when the first round after lunch were
> scheduled to start and asked me wasn't I going to ring a bell and let
> people know?  I basically told him that I never did that.  The
> participants were adults and could figure it out for themselves.  He
> was floored and a little upset.  He said he always lets people know.
> And then it dawned on me:  there are more and more people who have
> experienced OS.  Perhaps there are many practitioners doing what Jon
> does - telling people when it is time to start the next session.  I
> realized that since most of these folks came at Jon's invitation,
> they were probably enculturated to responding to a bell.
>
> So I took what seemed a middle ground to me and rang a bell, saying,
> "It's 1:30 and all's well."  I figured a town crier was a minimalist
> thing to do -- providing information without attachment to how people
> used it.
>
> I then spoke more with Jon because I wanted to understand his
> perspective.  He said that to him, what is posted, like the session
> start times, are part of the commons and when he is holding the
> space, that is part of his contract with the group, to give them the
> information.  He doesn't care what they do once they hear it.  So, it
> strikes me that Town Crier is a good description of what he does.
>
> Given the trend I mentioned, I suspect Jon isn't the only one doing
> something like this.  I'd love to hear other thoughts on providing
> information that marks the passage of time.
>
> from sunny (for a change) Seattle, Peggy
>
> ________________________________ Peggy Holman The Open Circle Company
>  15347 SE 49th Place Bellevue, WA  98006 (425) 746-6274
>
> www.opencirclecompany.com
>

> For the new edition of The Change Handbook, go to:
> www.bkconnection.com/ChangeHandbook
>
> "An angel told me that the only way to step into the fire and not get
> burnt, is to become the fire". -- Drew Dellinger

> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:

> http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist--

Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eg
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
++49-30-772 8000
www.boscop.org   www.michaelmpannwitz.de

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 472 resident Open
Space Workers in 76 countries (working in a total of 132 countries
worldwide)
www.openspaceworldmap.org