Personhood and 'the circle'

Brendan McKeague mckeague at iprimus.com.au
Thu Jan 31 23:19:58 PST 2008

I'm wishing to honour the passing of one of my
favourite and most influential spiritual mentors:
John O'Donohue (Anam Cara, Eternal Echoes).
John died suddenly and unexpectedly in his sleep
on January 3rd, he was 52 years old.  While
reflecting on his words and works, I came across this paragraph on his website
www.jodonohue.com which really speaks strongly
and gently to me about Open Space....I thought it worth passing on...

John O'Donohue is an Irish poet and philosopher
who lives in the solitude of a cottage in the
West of Ireland and speaks Gaelic as his native language.

He has degrees in philosophy, English literature
and was awarded a Ph.D in philosophical theology
from the University of Tubingen in 1990. His
dissertation developed a new concept of Person
through a re-interpretation of the philosophy of
Hegel. The prestigious Review of Metaphysics
commended him for "breaking new ground in our
thinking about consciousness
(with) a richer and
deeper notion of Personhood."   O'Donohue says:

  "Hegel struck me as someone who put his eye to
the earth at a most unusual angle and managed to
glimpse the circle toward which all things aspire."

Sounds a bit like what we're doing in our
presence and movement in Open Space....?

Cheers
Brendan
(this is a wee bit different from my last posting
about Construction Engineers.... :-) )