Ligthening Talks Overcoming the alienation of lectures

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Sat Jan 5 17:29:25 PST 2008

I'm intrigued by Lightening Talks.  Over the last several years, I've
convened a number of gatherings of loose-knit groups with pretty abstract
topics.  I've learned that it is important to do something as part of the
opening that helps frame the intention more clearly.  This sounds like a
fun, bottom-up way to do that in which not one view prevails, but instead
offers many alternatives around the organizing theme.

On a different subject, Kerry alluded to the need to:

> overcome the inevitable alienation of conventional lectures by "experts,"
> leading to people tuning out because they have limited attention spans and
> would be challenged to find each subject of equal interest.

When I've been in situations where someone is going to lecture or even do a
panel, I've found a simple way to shift the energies.  Before the speaker(s)
do their thing, invite people to gather in groups of 2-5 and have a 10
minute conversation on a question along the lines of:

What questions do you have, that if answered, would equip you to move into
action?

Then take about 5 minutes just to listen to the questions they generate.
There's no need to answer them, just let them permeate the room.

Now, when the lecture happens, there is a local context.  Additionally:

*  The audience is no longer passive - they are actively engaged and
listening through the lens of their own questions.

*  The speakers are now in service to the people and the needs of their
community.

*  The many networks of people who come into the same room because the
speaker is present start to connect and deepen their ties with each other,
leaving new relationships and seeds for action in the wake of the speaker.

If it is possible to keep the talk to 20 minutes, you can further shift
things by inviting the audience to talk after the speech for 5 minutes in
their small groups.  This sets the stage for a conversation between the
speaker(s) and the group.  People can ask questions and express insights.
While this may look like traditional Q&A, the small group conversations
change the atmosphere, enabling other's experiences to become more visible,
bringing the voice of indigenous leadership present.

It isn't Open Space, which is the ultimate liberation.  Still, it opens a
little more space when there was none before.

from a damp Seattle,
Peggy

________________________________
Peggy Holman
The Open Circle Company
15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue, WA  98006
(425) 746-6274

www.opencirclecompany.com

For the new edition of The Change Handbook, go to:
www.bkconnection.com/ChangeHandbook

"An angel told me that the only way to step into the fire and not get burnt,
is to become
the fire".
  -- Drew Dellinger