I wish to unsubscribe from OSLIST

The Warren empower at empower.karoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 4 02:43:47 PST 2008

Hi,

I wish to unsubscribe from OSLIST.
regards
Keith Russell
The Warren
Young People's Community & Resource Project
Hull
UK

Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 07:22:26 -0500
To: OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
From: Deborah Hartmann <deborah at hartmann.net>
Subject: Re: Advice on running Open Space with 250-300 people

--------------020901090602060307010707

Aslak! How wonderful to meet you here! (Aslak and I write for the same
publication, though on different continents. Our founder is a magnet for
collaborative people :-)

Looks like good ideas travel fast - Naresh Jain used lightning talks in
his December "Simple Design and Testing" conference and we hope to do
the same at "Agile Coach Camp" to prime the pump for OpenSpace! We'll do
it the evening before, let people sleep on it, and see what happens in
the morning. Heck, maybe they won't even sleep - maybe they'll go out
for drinks and stay up all night talking! I.e. open the space
themselves, lol.

At Agile2007 some people took the initiative to organize lightning talks
on the last day... and we were all SO amazed at the
new/crazy/fascinating/off-the-wall ideas people had brought with them!
We all wished it had happened on day 1 of the conference. That's where I
got the idea to do it at AgileCoachCamp, not aware that my
co-conspirator Naresh was doing exactly that at SDTconf at Penn State,
at the very time I came up with the idea.

For those of you unfamiliar with Lightning Talks, there's an explanation
here that I cooked up for AgileCoachCamp. Enjoy!
http://wiki.agilecoachcamp.org/tiki-index.php?page=LightningTalks

deb

aslak hellesoy wrote:
> [...]
> share with you all what I *think* is a new way to run a conference.
>
> We mixed Lightning Talks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_Talk)
> and Open Space. That is, 250 people were listening to several
> 10-minute lightning talks before lunch, and after lunch we had Open
> Space sessions. Most of the people had never experienced any of these,
> and several reported that they *really* loved Open Space and LT, but
> more interestingly, they said that the many LTs before lunch really
> fueled their thoughts and made the OS sessions more productive.
>
> You can read more about how we did this here:
> http://smidig.no/smidig2007/smidig_2007_press_release.pdf
> http://smidig.no/smidig2007 (Norwegian)
> http://flickr.com/photos/mahnve/sets/72157603325757918/ (photos)
>
> Thanks again for the help
>
> Cheers,
> Aslak
>
> On Nov 18, 2007 10:20 PM, Harrison Owen <hhowen at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Sounds like you are getting some real good advice (what else on OSLIST?!)
>> Three things occur to me --
>>
>> 1) I find working with larger groups is actually easier than small ones.
>> Part of that is that there is a sufficient crowd that people don't feel
>> inclined to conversations during the opening. But as Michael points out, 250
>> people is rather on the small end of things.
>>
>> 2) When I invite people to announce their issues, I make it very clear that
>> there are to be no speeches. Just state your issue, your name -- and move
>> on. You don't have to sound like a drill sergeant, a smile will help, and
>> I've never had any objections. Occasionally people do get carried away, but
>> having said No Speeches at the start, I have no problem reiterating the
>> point (nicely) if I see a speech developing.
>>
>> 3) I think it is really important that there be NO limit on the number of
>> issues raised. A promise I always make in the invitation (or suggest that
>> the sponsor makes) is that EVERY ISSUE OF CONCERN to anybody will be on the
>> table. That can get a little interesting. In the OS that Michael refers to
>> (2108 participants) we had figured that there might be 175 issues raised --
>> but when the total was heading to 200 we had to move a little quickly to add
>> spaces. But we did, and everything worked. The final total was, as Michael
>> said, something like 236. And as near as I can tell all sessions met and
>> made a report. Number (of people or issues) need never be a problem.  Good
>> luck! Don't forget to breath. And above all, Have fun!
>>
>> Harrison
>>
>> Harrison Owen
>> 7808 River Falls Drive
>> Potomac, Maryland 20854
>> Phone 301-365-2093
>> Skype hhowen
>> Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com
>> Open Space Institute www.openspaceworld.org
>> Personal website www.ho-image.com
>> OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the

<head>
</head>
Aslak! How wonderful to meet you here! (Aslak and I write for the same
publication, though on different continents. Our founder is a magnet
for collaborative people :-) <br>
Looks like good ideas travel fast - Naresh Jain used lightning talks in
his December "Simple Design and Testing" conference and we hope to do
the same at "Agile Coach Camp" to prime the pump for OpenSpace! We'll
do it the evening before, let people sleep on it, and see what happens
in the morning. Heck, maybe they won't even sleep - maybe they'll go
out for drinks and stay up all night talking! I.e. open the space
themselves, lol.<br>
At Agile2007 some people took the initiative to organize lightning
talks on the last day... and we were all SO amazed at the
new/crazy/fascinating/off-the-wall ideas people had brought with them!
We all wished it had happened on day 1 of the conference. That's where
I got the idea to do it at AgileCoachCamp, not aware that my
co-conspirator Naresh was doing exactly that at SDTconf at Penn State,
at the very time I came up with the idea.<br>
For those of you unfamiliar with Lightning Talks, there's an
explanation here that I cooked up for AgileCoachCamp. Enjoy!<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://wiki.agilecoachcamp.org/tiki-index.php?page=LightningTalks">http://wiki.agilecoachcamp.org/tiki-index.php?page=LightningTalks</a><br>
deb<br>
aslak hellesoy wrote:
 cite="mid:8d961d900801040125re1593dbmb2adaeb966f36c6a at mail.gmail.com"
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">Hi all,

We mixed Lightning Talks (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_Talk">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_Talk</a>)
and Open Space. That is, 250 people were listening to several
10-minute lightning talks before lunch, and after lunch we had Open
Space sessions. Most of the people had never experienced any of these,
and several reported that they *really* loved Open Space and LT, but
more interestingly, they said that the many LTs before lunch really
fueled their thoughts and made the OS sessions more productive.

You can read more about how we did this here:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://smidig.no/smidig2007/smidig_2007_press_release.pdf">http://smidig.no/smidig2007/smidig_2007_press_release.pdf</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://smidig.no/smidig2007">http://smidig.no/smidig2007</a> (Norwegian)
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://flickr.com/photos/mahnve/sets/72157603325757918/">http://flickr.com/photos/mahnve/sets/72157603325757918/</a> (photos)

Thanks again for the help

Cheers,
Aslak

    <pre wrap="">Sounds like you are getting some real good advice (what else on OSLIST?!)
[...]

Open Space Training <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.openspaceworld.com">www.openspaceworld.com</a>
Open Space Institute <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.openspaceworld.org">www.openspaceworld.org</a>
Personal website <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.ho-image.com">www.ho-image.com</a>
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
archivesVisit: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html">www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html</a>