What color open space - and the middle man

Robert Chaffe chaffer at eftel.net.au
Thu Jan 3 15:45:30 PST 2008

Colour is our interpretation of data (photons) from  a source.

So what colour is open space is based on the source and the
interpretation of the data by the people it touches.

In life the way I interpret colour changes constantly and the only
way I know how I am seeing the colour is to share with others and to
also ask what their interpretation is.  The same source different
interpretation - the collective interpretation may be used to
describe the common view.  The challenge for me (as I  seek to
understand how others perceive the current situation)  is am I just
puddling the data to form a grey mess or am I seeking the highlights
the contrasts and the life ( similar to a prism in a shaft of white
light split into a rainbow)?

The middle "man" please don't eliminate me!

  In a living and vital group of people that is ready to work with
change the process of self organisation will give each of us a chance
to perform a range of roles, leader, follower, middle "man" etc at
times that are appropriate to the fulfilment of the needs of the
situation to achieve that deeper purpose HO spoke about.  Self
organising implies change and to use the resources available to the
best advantage.  The ebb and flow of life in a complex system means
at any one time the components of the system need to know how best to
relate to each other to deal with the current situation, in large
groups this requires a large range of skills and abilities.

As we enjoyed our annual street party, the food was eaten and the
gifts given the brooms appeared and the rubbish bins collected.  The
community had gathered at the appointed time and for an hour or so
the street was full with happy people of all ages then quite quickly
the people left and the street as clear.  We have all seen this
happen.  The magic part was that roles that people played to ensure
it happened.  Yes it was the past mayor who was pushing the broom to
clean the street, the local pastor and Rotary president collecting
the rubbish and as the last people left the scene the street was
clean and ready to greet Christmas day with a smile.   No
organisational chart, very few defined roles yet it required everyone
to do their bit to make the event  work.  For me this is a reflection
of a sustainable community.

One question that we might ask is how do we reward people for the
contribution they make?  The organisational chart would have us
believe that reward is defined by position in the "organisational
chart" and we hear the phrase climbing the ladder of success as if it
was real.  The chart and ladder are constructs, and unfortunately
often used to control and dominate enterprise and often is says
nothing about the contribution, skills, energy etc  of the people.
It would seem to me that while we reward position rater than
contribution we will not move to the most sustainable and highest
performing enterprise!  Possibly the even more debilitating thing in
enterprise is to describe people by position in a redundant construct
called the organisational chart.