Open Space with Construction Engineers

douglas germann 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Sun Jan 27 06:56:30 PST 2008

Brendan and all--

Is it not really a question of fear? A fear held by one person?

We go off on a tangent if we try to answer the question. Do we not do
better if we stay in the circle? Explore the fear? Ask the person to say
more about what they fear might happen? Get them talking it out? Demons
do not do well exposed to the light, yes? In Harrison's manner, is the
best prescription to open more space around this person's fear?

This is a scary thing to do, to avoid their stated question, and open
space for demons. But is it not the most direct and therefore most
fruitful? Often I have found people "sell themselves."

So, for instance, we could gently ask our client in such a case, after
we have heard them out about their fears, “Is it possible you have not
asked your people such a question (as the invitation question) before?”

Stated otherwise: We cannot respond to our client's unexpressed question
until it is expressed. Our job may be to open space so they can see what
their real question is.

			:- Doug. Germann