AW: Not Open Space

Marei Kiele mareikiele at web.de
Tue Feb 19 09:14:49 PST 2008

Hi Yoav !

Thank you for sharing your story. I can relate to your experience very
much, the falling in love with Open Space, the disbelief that others
“don’t get it”, the being so sure that it would be just perfect in the
situation described.

You asked for thoughts / feedback, so here are mine:

To me, after falling in love with Open Space Technology in 2003 most
challenging has been to adapt the principles in every day life and fully
LIVE them. Furthermore, to adapt the whole structure of OST and fully
live it. Being able to do that is an ongoing journey. Today, when I
encounter something challenging in my life I invite myself to look at it
from an OST perspective.

Applying this to your situation:
Sounds like you posted the session “Let’s do an OST event” and nobody
showed up

Now you have several options, you can think: “It was a bad idea.” You
can think: “They are too fearful to get it.” You can think: “I can’t
have the session if they don’t come.” You can think: “I’ll start with my
own session ~ obviously I am exactly the right person at the right place
and time to work on this subject.” And let yourself be surprised who
else may show up at a later time.
(Of course you can also have many other thoughts.)

What I mean is that a very strong desire to do an Open Space meeting can
cause us to close the space for others (as you also mentioned yourself
in your posting). If you want you could choose to see OS as “the art of
inviting” and keep inviting and allowing those who are the right people
to show up. For myself I like the idea of having this be so delightful
that sooner or later other people come and say, “What’s going on over
there, they seem so happy with what they are doing, I want some of the
same stuff!” (like in the movie Harry & Sally).

A concrete idea: Can you think of any smaller issue with a smaller group
where an OST meeting could be useful?  This could help people build
trust ~ in the method and in you.

Many blessings,
Marei

--
Are you doing what you truly desire?

Holistic Facilitation ~ Ganzheitliche Begleitung
PSYCH-K®, PER-K®, Genuine Contact™, Open Space
Rolandstr. 12 • 33615 Bielefeld • Germany
tel:  +49 - 521 – 521 76 43 • mob: +49 - 171 - 810 71 61
info at mareikiele.de • www.mareikiele.de