Action Research

Diamond Christie diamondc17 at mac.com
Fri Dec 5 20:16:15 PST 2008

Hi,
Just checking in on this topic.  Sirin mentioned Cooperative Inquiry
(CI), and I had the opportunity to participate in a "bootstrap" CI (no
one in the group had any previous experience with CI) during my
masters process, and I would agree with Sirin's comments: there is no
distinction necessary between researchers and participants, and
because it has action and reflection stages as part of the process, it
allows the inquiry to be fluid throughout the research phase. (We met
in person to begin with, but because our 'action sites' spanned 2
countries & 4 time zones, we then used a combination of conference
calls, Skype, & on-line journalling to connect with each other during
the reflection phases.)  Also, because there is space for the findings
to include both informative and transformative aspects, it suits
different peoples' preferences for reporting on the experience.  In
our group, we were able to combine art, photography, and poetry with
more analytical writing.  In the end, we realized that the informative
summary lead to transformation, and the transformative summary lead to
new information (go figure!).  Four CI's were presented collectively
at the Fourth International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry: (theme -
Ethics, Evidence & Social Justice) http://www.icqi.org/qi2008/  .
Many of the students did choose CI for the masters or doctoral work.
Although I did not use Open Space for my masters, I did use World
Cafe, Appreciative Inquiry & Circle in an organization to explore
leadership through hosting meaningful conversations (thanks to
discovering the Art of Hosting), and was pleased with how the process
worked - for the organization, me personally, and for meeting my
learning goals.

Jamie, I think there are fantastic options for your learning,
community, and projects - keep us posted on your progress!

Christie
PS - I found both The Change Handbook & the Handbook of Action
Research to be significantly helpful resources!