Several parallel OS ?

Marc Steinlin (I-P-K) marc.steinlin at i-p-k.ch
Wed Dec 3 05:34:45 PST 2008

Dear all,

I am discussing with a client the organisation of a 1 day Open Space
on regional development in Latin America - on a quite large range of
issues from renewable energy to food production to ICTs to
environmental management. They expect about 160 people to take part in
it.

In principle we have agreed on it. But now the organisers have come
back to me, telling me that they are not able to find a suitable venue
for it (it will be in Santiago de Compostela, in Galicia, Spain - does
anybody coincidentally know a large room there?). The only hotel with
a really large room is booked at the given date, the conference centre
only has rooms with auditorium furnishing screwed to the floor, so
that's not working.

Now they have found one hotel, where they can get 4 rooms: two of 75
sq.m each and two of 140 sq.m each. Now we will never get 160 persons
in one 140 sq.m room for the circle and market place. They now suggest
to hold four parallel OS, one in each room with a part of
participants: to have four different topics and people choose in which
OS they want to participate.
I think we could get 80 people in each of the two rooms and hold two
parallel OS on two topics - and somehow also allow them to drift
between the two.
I would still have the problem that I can only open the space in one
of the two and would need a second person for the other half.

Has anybody ever done something similar? Any suggestions, experiences?
Is that risky or even "inspiring"?

Warm regards,
-marc

IngeniousPeoplesKnowledge
Marc Steinlin
marc.steinlin at i-p-k.ch
Skype: marcsteinlin

PO Box 27494
Rhine Road
Sea Point
8050 Cape Town
Republic of South Africa
Mobile: +27 (76) 222 81 12
Phone from South Africa: +27 (21) 674 63 60
Phone from Europe: +41 (44) 586 53 64

Zweierstrasse 50
CH-8004 Zürich
Switzerland
Mobile: +41 (78) 850 42 32

http://www.i-p-k.ch

P Help save paper - do you really need to print this email ?

‘Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can
change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.’
Margaret Mead