...follow up: OST for leaders Elderly care in Sweden (X-posted GC/OS-lists)

Thomas Herrmann thomas at openspaceconsulting.com
Thu Dec 4 13:13:45 PST 2008

Dear friends in Open Space/Genuine Contact

Today had quite an experience joining a large conference for about 3-400
persons working within the elderly care in the area I live. This was the
third in a series of four large events where employees are reporting
out/performing and sharing about their accomplishments from a large project
about improving the services they are doing to elders in need of assistance
+ improving their working conditions as well. The conference was in one of
the most prestigous hotels SAS Radisson.

More or less out of coincidence I had lunch with one of the top managers
within this area, yesterday and she told me that the OST-meeting we had 4
years ago had been the start of this huge project which has affected, I
would say 10th of thousands receiving services and working within this area
in a this region of about half a milllion inhabitants. I think the main
thing being that people who share the same passion meet and get going. Then
of course the right conditions have to be in place such as focus, space for
action/leadership.

They have introduced something they call “Break-through-projects” which
means that any employee can bring up a problem or improvement that he och
she would like to test. A short test period is conducted, which is evaluated
and then a decision is made if it is a break-through or not. If so, it is
implemented straight away.

The performances I saw today were really moving – it was such a joy to see
the pride that these people showed and the joy that they have created for
elders as well as for themselves. Such a power that has been released! And
bottom-up.

Another large project they have worked with the last years is
“talking-circles” where they have had different subjects to meet around and
share. A success too!

Warm regards

Thomas Herrmann Phone +46 (0)709-98 97 81
Open Space Consulting
Pensévägen 4
434 46 Kungsbacka, Sweden
Email:  <mailto:thomas at openspaceconsulting.com>
thomas at openspaceconsulting.com

<file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Administrator\Application%20Data\Micr
osoft\Signaturer\www.openspaceconsulting.com> www.openspaceconsulting.com
Vill du skapa en välmående och effektiv organisation och ta tillvara hela
dess potential?

Open Space Consulting erbjuder dig:
* Lärtillfällen kring hälsa och balans i organisationer
* Analyser av organisatorisk hälsa och balans
* Handledning av effektiva och kreativa möten och konferenser
* Utbildning av mötes- och processhandledare
* Coaching för organisationer i förändring
Ingår i Beyond Performance Group
Vårt antivirusskydd scannar alla utgående mail. Infekterade mail stoppas
automatiskt.