Books about being human?

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Sat Aug 30 11:50:03 PDT 2008

Two books finally popped to mind to add to this luscious list that is
forming:

Carol Gilligan's In a Different Voice.  It helped me understand that
men and women really do approach the world in very different and
complementary ways.

Aldous Huxley's positive utopia, Island.  Two of my favorite ideas
from it:

*there are myna birds all over the island reminding us to be present
because their calls are "attention, attention" and "here and now,
boys, here and now."  (Okay, a bit of a gender thing, but it was
written in 1962 before people were conscious of gender neutral
language.)

*  One third, more or less, of all the sorrow that the person I think
I am must endure is unavoidable.  It is the sorrow inherent in the
human condition, the price we must pay for being sentient and self-
conscious organisms, aspirants to liberation, but subject to the laws
of nature and under orders to keep on  marching, through irreversible
time, through a world wholly indifferent to our well-being, toward
decrepitude and the certainty of death.  The remaining two thirds of
all sorrow is homemade and, so far as the universe is concerned,
unnecessary.

overcast in Seattle,
Peggy

______________________________
Peggy Holman
The Open Circle Company
15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue, WA  98006
425-746-6274
www.opencirclecompany.com

For the new edition of The Change Handbook, go to:
www.bkconnection.com/ChangeHandbook

"An angel told me that the only way to step into the fire and not get
burnt, is to become
the fire".
   -- Drew Dellinger