WOSonOS -and- future years and locations [long]

Heidi Nobantu Saul heidi at we-becoming.com
Thu Aug 28 21:14:09 PDT 2008

Now that I have a moment I would like to add to the thread about the
'activity' of Hosting an international event like the one some of got to
attend last month in San Francisco.

For me one of the best parts of the recent Open Space Event in San Francisco
was getting to be part of the Hosting Team. This was so because we operated
as a mini Open Space community/team.  I showed up in early April and it was
just the right time -others had been there before me, contributed and had
left. we each chose to work on things that we wanted to and there were
things no-one chose to do and so went by the wayside.

It was some time before I realized that this was the way we were operating..
prior to this I'd wondered at times how it was all coming together with
seemingly little 'direction' J and chalked it up to all the work that had
been done before my arrival.  Yet as we approached the big week and a few
others joined our ranks and last minute details continued to get done
(including things like homemade brownies for 100!) I realized that I was
indeed having an experience of operating in open space - how great is that!
(and yes it was A LOT of work - most of it joyful and extremely rewarding)

One other significant (impressive to me) aspect about the conscious
framework of this particular event was not only its true 'accessibility' but
also the quality and spirit of an invitation that might actually result in a
diversity of attendees responding to that accessibility and then being
present to add to the richness of the gathering - broadening the scope of
participative views and voices. This ability to move beyond the rank and
privilege of the folks doing the hosting/organizing  of any kind of event
requires thoughtful creativity and conscious effort.  I mention this as a
person who has attended a wide variety of events, conferences and trainings
that spoke of diversity and were not designed in any way that it might
actually have been able to show up. I BOW to you LISA and originating host
team members for making the brave decisions from the start to do the work
necessary to make this so.  How great that was for all of us who were able
to attend!

As a new-comer to this community I look forward to joining the roaming
annual worldwide event when I am able - as well as regional/local events
when I'm in the right neck of the woods at the right time. Wonderful to have
all these choices and opportunities to connect with Open Space colleagues
and friends.

Heidi

heidi nobantu saul

CONSULTANT  FACILITATOR  COACH

Santa Fe, NM & San Francisco, CA

505.470.5131 (mobile)

heidi.nobantu.saul (skype)

heidi at we-becoming.com

P Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.