books about being human?

Tree Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 17:20:24 PDT 2008

Wow, it is fun to learn what some folks are reading, what books have been
particularly meaningful to them. And it is fun to think about books that
have been important to me.

If I have to pick just one book -- praise goddess that I don't have to
choose only one -- that influenced my thinking about being human, it might
be Riane Eisler's *The Chalice and the Blade*.  Eisler's book allowed me to
find a new relationship to culture, particularly as it relates to the fact
of my gender in this particular lifetime.  Only after I read this book did I
realize how hard it had been for me, all my life, to feel connected to the
surrounding culture, which is one rooted in domination.  This book freed me
to, well, be me, it helped me accept that I do not have to be defined by
surrounding culture, that i can shape culture for myself.

Today I happen to be rereading *The Occult Significance of Forgiveness* by
Sergei Prokofiev.  This Prokofiev is the Russian grandson of the great
composer. This Prokofiev is an anthroposophical researcher. I am rereading
this book because I am working on forgiveness, again. Again and again and
again, I have to work on my forgiveness skills. Darnit.  The book is kinda
obscure and might not be very accessible to people unfamiliar with
anthroposophy but Prokofiev's message, that it really, really, really
matters that each and everyone of us forgives everything, is, imho, central
to what it means to be human.

And, imho, *Where The Wild Things Are*, a children's picture book by Maurice
Sendak is another great approach to the occult significance of forgiveness.

Two works of fiction have been profoundly influential for me.  Margaret
Atwood's *The Handmaid's Tale* and Michael Chabon's *The Amazing Adventures
of Kavalier and Klay*.  Each of these novels delve deeply into the darkness
of the human heart while simultaneously reminding us of the light that also
resides in it.

*Man on the Threshold* by Bernard Lievegoed and anything else this guy ever
wrote.

I am vaguely disappointed to have to reveal that more books by men come to
mind as I contemplate this question than books by women.  I have considered
sharing a false list, only listing books by women. . . but I am working,
today, on sharing my microscopic truths in all streams in my life.  Just for
today.  Just for this moment.  And in this moment, it is true that men's
thinking has been important to me.

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 12:39 PM, Chris Corrigan <chris at chriscorrigan.com>wrote:

> The Tao te ching by lao tzu ( i like Stephen Mitchell's translation these
> days) is like an owner's manual for this life, at least in my experience.
> It's very simple, very profound, full of theory, poetry and practices and
> surprises, even after many years of reading and befriending it.
>
> Chris
>

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Metta <metta at open-space-technology.com>wrote:
>
>>  Three Classics -- 2 Western, 2 Eastern:
>>
>> *On Being Human*, Ashley Montague
>> *Man's Search for Meaning*, Viktor Frankl
>> *I Am That*, Nisargadatta Maharaj

>> At 11:20 AM 8/27/2008, you wrote:
>>
>>  Greetings All,
>>
>> I realize that this topic is a little broader than the focus of this list,
>> but selfishly, I would love to tap the rich breadth and depth of humanity
>> here, so…I have a request for all of you Open Space readers out there who
>> have ever pondered what it means to be human.  I'm wondering what books have
>> you discovered along the way that taught you the most about being
>> human­those that helped you understand something about yourself or others.
>>
>> If you could recommend your top one or two, I'd appreciate it…
>>
>> Appreciatively,
>> Karen
>>
>> Karen Sella
>> Coaching:   www.luminacoaching.com
>>  Consulting:   www.integralventures.com
>> Blog:  www.lumina.typepad.com
>> Phone: 1.206.780.2998
>> Skype: karensella
>>
>> lumina fr. L. *light, air, opening...
>> *
>> The information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential
>> and protected from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, any
>> dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited.  If you think
>> that you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by
>> reply and delete the message and any attachments.
>>
>> * * ==========================================================
>> OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To
>> subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
>> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:
>> http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html To learn about
>> OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist
>>

> --
> CHRIS CORRIGAN
> Facilitation - Training - Process Design
> Open Space Technology
>
> Weblog: http://www.chriscorrigan.com/parkinglot
> Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com
>
> Principal, Harvest Moon Consultants, Ltd.
> http://www.harvestmoonconsultants.com
>  * * ==========================================================
> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:

Love rays,
Tree Fitzpatrick

http://thecultureoflove.blogspot.com/

. . . the great and incalculable grace of love, which says, with Augustine,
"I want you to be," without being able to give any particular reason for
such supreme and unsurpassable affirmation. -- Hannah Arendt

1335 Montecito Ave Apt. 35
Mountain View, California 94043
(650) 967-9260