Open Collaboration

Dirk Riehle dirk at riehle.org
Tue Aug 26 16:22:35 PDT 2008

Great examples of open collaboration!

I've been using this term ("open collaboration") as well and my
examples are open source, Wikipedia and wikis, open space technology,
and open innovation [1] [2] [3].

I'm interested in the principles underlying open collaboration. Based
on our open source work, I see three main principles, namely:

* Egalitarian: Everyone can participate; no borders to joining a
project are erected.
* Meritocratic: Contributions are evaluated based on merit; seniority
is less important.
* Self-organizing: The collaborators choose their own collaboration processes.

Thoughts? What's the story and principles behind open collaboration?
Or is it too early to define it?

Dirk

[1] http://www.riehle.org/computer-science/research/2007/wikimania-2007.html

[2] http://www.riehle.org/2008/08/05/open-collaboration-self-organizing-innovation-in-large-corporations/