WOSonOS -and- future years and locations [long]

Tree Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 13:52:16 PDT 2008

Thanks for this letter, Michael Herman.  You have expressed much of what I
think.

AND . . . I have one specific response, below.

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 2:10 AM, Michael Herman
<michael at michaelherman.com>wrote:

> [...]
> (or don't get to work with) holding tight to the notion that there can be
> only one speaker at a time, one powerpoint presenter per hour of annual
> meeting, one round after another in a big group, with regular breaks to
> recover and adjust the setup for the next speaker.
>
> what would a truly open space approach to osonos look like?
>
> i think it would be a bulletin board, where anyone could announce a
> gathering, an osonos, where the theme would be "open space".  i'll refrain
> from making the plan and theme even as complicated as "the practice of open
> space".  like any breakout session, the host would choose a time and a
> place.  when folks arrived in their corner of the world, they would step
> into the circle of few or many friends and colleagues.  they would tell
> something of their story, how they came to post this invitation.  and they
> would invite everyone present to say something of why they'd come.  these
> everyone sayings would, of course, begin as topics announced and posted.  in
> some years we might have many osonos events, some years few, but in no years
> would we have a single, most important, "world" osonos.  they would all be
> important.  encouraged.  announced.  documented.  photographed.  access
> queened.  connected.  simultaneous.  messy.  local.  global.  open.  spaces.
>
> there would be no concern for who would go to india or australia or camden
> or whatever.  the right people would find their way.  and when people needed
> help getting to some osonos far away, they could ask for it.  you and anyone
> else could help run the side bulletin board that was its own little open
> space on getting to an open space on open space.  how does a two-year lead
> time fit with whenever it starts and whoever comes is right?
>
> yes, i might not see you and peggy and brian and michael and larry and
> chris at *the* world open space.  the usual suspects would not be able to
> support, encourage, or whatever the "growth of open space" in one particular
> region.   we couldn't talk about "bringing open space" to this "underserved"
> place or another, as we sometime have in the past.  but as far as i can
> tell, just about the whole world is underserved.  we could all be going to
> many places, trusting that we are all in the same place, with many breakouts
> scattered world around.  and all the side conversations could be about
> "which one are you going to?" instead of "which one is ready or right or
> will be supported and held up as *the one* that everyone should go to this
> year, the only one that will be called 'world'.
>
> and then maybe the world os conference call would be opened to anyone who
> was in the moment of making a whole world invitation to gather in their
> corner of earth, to talk about open space.  why should there be only two
> people allowed from each country or each "institute" on such calls.  would
> we ever suggest such a system in one of the events we facilitate?

I have always chafed at the exclusivity of the world os conference calls.
It has never felt like an open thing and as a group purporting to be about
OS, the closed nature feels wrong to me.

> i'll be very interested to hear what others are thinking on this.  perhaps
> i'm too much the purist, or not much of a planner, but my favorite osonos
> gatherings have been the really really simple ones, mostly before we started
> lining up and and taking turns.  what we be lost if we made more space for
> more open spaces on open space each year?  what would an open space on
> osonos look like?  how would it function on an ongoing, worldwide, anyone
> can come, anyone can host, no planning required basis?  that's what i'm
> really wondering now.

I believe all are free to do the things you suggest.

> [...]
>> the conference – as is our tradition – the 2008 (San Francisco) Host Team
>> passed the lovely WOSonOS talking stick to the 2009 (Taiwan) team.
>>

>> So.  *My thoughts for your discussion are...*
>>

>> As Access Queen, I often think of 'what will help different kinds of
>> people participate if they have a passion to do so'.  I do not get to all
>> the WOSonOSs in person, but I know it is very very powerful to receive an
>> invitation from a potential Host Team – in person – to get a sense for their
>> country, their culture, their personality.  And powerful to make decisions
>> in person – with whoever comes - with conversation, and listening,
>> in-person.  I am not sure how one would get such an amazing, experiential
>> sense of someone inviting – especially someone from another culture and
>> country – in written form only.  Especially if their home language is not in
>> English, as this list conversation usually is.
>>

>> However sometimes I wonder if there would be a way to bring the
>> invitations to the larger OS community – including those of you who cannot
>> come live to the WOSonOS.
>>
>> I am guessing there are some of you who feel 'it is just fine that whoever
>> comes to any given year's event in person collectively hears these
>> invitations and decides / agrees on the future year(s) locations.'  You are
>> fine with a diverse group of colleagues being there to hear and feel and
>> taste and sense what future potential hosts are offering.  You are like the
>> butterflies in the room.
>>
>> I am guessing there are some of you who feel 'I would like to be included
>> too and I do not get to go to these live events.  I wish there was a way I
>> can be included'.
>>
>> Maybe some of you feel both of these things at once.
>>

>> I do not have an answer – and I for one am one of those people who is fine
>> with whoever being there getting to make a decision.  That is how I have
>> experienced and enjoyed many Open Space-like organizations' or communities'
>> decision-making processes.   They use each others' energies and
>> participation in that fluid and trusting manner, and whoever is at a given
>> meeting gets to make the decisions, whether all are present at that meeting
>> or not.
>>

>> However: I want to invite you to share your thoughts, dear colleagues. As
>> I am just one person.  And I feel like there is a conversation here that is
>> waiting to happen.
>>

>> I look forward to hearing the conversation,
>>

>> Lisa

>> ___________________________
>>
>> *L i s a   H e f t*
>>
>> Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
>>
>> O p e n i n g  S p a c e
>>
>> lisaheft at openingspace.net
>>
>> www.openingspace.net
>>

>>  * * ==========================================================
>> OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To
>> subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of

Love rays,
Tree Fitzpatrick

http://thecultureoflove.blogspot.com/

. . . the great and incalculable grace of love, which says, with Augustine,
"I want you to be," without being able to give any particular reason for
such supreme and unsurpassable affirmation. -- Hannah Arendt

1335 Montecito Ave Apt. 35
Mountain View, California 94043
(650) 967-9260