A Common Consensus

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Sat Aug 16 14:51:53 PDT 2008

I must admit to having little energy for consensus process, though I
have seen its remarkable power to shift a group to a new level of
understanding when people truly do listen to that one hold-out voice
who brings some very important truth into the mix.  Still, I believe
Open Space, as an ongoing practice, a collective way of being,
provides a very useful alternative framework.

I think of the essence of Open Space as taking responsibility for what
you love.  (As an aside, I now believe that to do so is always an act
of service, not the selfish act that some assume it would be.  But
that's another conversation....)

Now, there is a major assumption in what follows, but I seem to recall
this is a going in condition for consensus process as well: that the
people involved are committed to the well-being of the system of which
they are a part.

This is primarily what I learned from Spirited Work, an Open Space
community of practice which used the four principles and the law as
its operating framework (along with Angeles Arrien's four-fold way).
In practice, those who cared about something, took responsibility to
make it happen.  If, for some reason, their actions created
dissonance, the issue found its way into the marketplace and those who
cared showed up to deal with it.  This happened with everything from
washing dishes to dealing with a financial deficit early in the
community's life.

I think this approach puts decision making into the flow of life, a
reminder that no decision is permanent.  Those who care, act and if
something hiccups, well, then, it surfaces and those who care,
convene, reflect, and act anew.

Now all that said, when the risk goes up, perhaps because the nature
of the action is difficult to undo, then it can be challenging.
Transparency is essential so that people can step in should they
choose to do so.  As groups stumble through learning to do this, I
think they develop the capacity to discern when to bring something
into a larger group for discussion, knowing that action will flow
based on taking responsibility for what one loves as an act of
service.  I have experienced this sort of co-sensing on many
occasions.  It seems to involve 1) understanding that a decision is a
moment in a larger unfolding and 2) radically trusting others in the
community, knowing they are taking responsibility for what they love
in service to a larger whole.

So much more to be said, but I'll end off here for now.

open-heartedly,
Peggy

______________________________
Peggy Holman
The Open Circle Company
15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue, WA  98006
425-746-6274
www.opencirclecompany.com

For the new edition of The Change Handbook, go to:
www.bkconnection.com/ChangeHandbook

"An angel told me that the only way to step into the fire and not get
burnt, is to become
the fire".
   -- Drew Dellinger