OS at the core of arts/sustainability gathering in May '09?

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Thu Aug 7 17:45:50 PDT 2008

Nataly...

You remind me of a story I posted here a few years ago about a folk festival
run in Open Space:

*I traveled north to Hornby Island (Jewel of the
Strait of Georgia so they say) for the 15th annual Islands Celtic Music
Festival.  As many of you know, I play Irish music and every year we get
an invite to come to this marvelous festival for tunes and workshops.

The Festival is run in Open Space.  At least that what it looks like.

On the Friday, the masses gather in a a whopping great "session" which
is when people of all walks of life, talent and abilities gather in a
circle and play tunes together.  There is no leader...people just call
out the names of tunes as the Spirit moves them and the whole group
joins in.

While this is going on a blank wall gets filled with index cards
indicating times and places for workshops.  Sound familiar?

On the Saturday, it's all workshops and gatherings and catching up with
friends and learning new tunes.  Follow that is a concert on Saturday
night, truly the scariest gig I have ever played, with no sound system
and 120 musicians listening to every note.

On the Sunday morning, more workshops and then at 2:00 a closing circle
in which the hangers on gather and sing songs until everyone has to make
a mad dash for the last ferry home.

One year I asked the organizers if they had ever heard of Open Space
Telchnology.  When I received the answer "What's that" I replied "Never
mind."

Sometimes the world is so perfect that one is loath to interfere.

*Cheers,

Chris