Public Merger + long story/update

Steven "Doc" List anotherthought at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 04:51:43 PDT 2008

Jon,

It sounds to me as if you did the right thing.  It's ironic that doing the
right thing led to your departure, but I'd argue that that might be the
right thing, too.

For years, I have espoused a philosophy of "Planned Dispensability" - if I
do my job well, train people properly, and groom and mentor my own
replacement, whether in an employee setting or as a consultant, I create an
environment in which I am no longer needed. Sometimes, I do my job well and
that's it.  Sometimes, the client/employer loves what I've done and chooses
to keep me around.  In either case, the relationship stems from want not
need.

It seems to me that that is what you were doing.  While it may not have
worked exactly the way you expected, it sounds as though you made a
significant impact, and allowed them to decide (good or bad) on how to
proceed.  I'd argue that they couldn't have gotten here without you.

One concern I have in reading the message below (including the parts I
cropped out) is your reference to OD.  I say "concern" because I'm busily
inhaling Harrison's "The Power of Spirit" and wondering if this wasn't a
candidate for OT rather than OD.  Clearly, I don't know - I have no facts.
Just a wondering.

And in spite of your statement that you never got to use OS as such, it
seems to me that you have OS embodied in everything you do, if you have
embraced it. So perhaps, in spite of never physically facilitating an Open
Space there, you brought Open Space into their organizations?

And if you developed a reputation as a "troublesome challenger who asks
difficult questions", I say BRAVO!

I sympathize, and am glad that there is a community where you can share
openly, and receive support and understanding, as you can here.

With respect and sympathy,

.Doc

Steven ListSteven "Doc" List, CMP
The Money Is In Your Blind Spot!T
Keynote Speaker, Facilitator, Consultant, Master of Ceremonies
Workshop Presenter, Author, Coach, Career Management Professional

AnotherThought, Inc. | 4815 W Braker Ln, Ste 502-111 | Austin, TX 78759
V: 512-246-3533 | M: 512-924-9248 | F: 512-233-2943
 <http://www.anotherthought.com/> www.AnotherThought.com |
<http://www.stevenlist.com/> www.StevenList.com |
<http://austin.classesintown.com/> Austin.ClassesInTown.com
LinkedIn:  <http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevenlist>