Anybody Home?

Diana Larsen dlarsen at futureworksconsulting.com
Mon Apr 28 06:57:19 PDT 2008

Aw Shucks, Doc! Thanks for the second-hand compliment. :-)

I've also just gotten back from two weeks away. During the first week
I attended a multi-day Open Space as a participant, and, once again, I
learned wonderful lessons about the practice.

First, I was struck by what a difference it makes when the facilitator
"walks the circle". Even when it's a small-ish group (~35). It's
possible to open the space without it, as we've discussed here before.
And, there's something about the invitation to really _see_ who else
has showed up and about carrying each person's eyes around the circle
of peers that makes a difference...for me.

Second, I re-experienced how a group of people committed to the law of
two feet can manage someone they perceive as a "space invader", or
not, as they choose.

Once again, I saw that Open Space Principles and Law offer us ways to
notice what happens anyway in a group of people with healthy
connections/intentions and, in their absence, also a way to notice
where a group of people may have opportunities for more healthy
interactions.

Best to y'all,
Diana

**
Diana Larsen
co-author: "Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great!"

Ask me about:
* "Secrets of Agile Teamwork: Beyond Technical Skills" *
June 3-5, Portland, Oregon

503 288 3550 www.futureworksconsulting.com/blog